Pregnant Guppy?

Discussion in 'Breeding Fish' started by nate_n_sab, Apr 27, 2006.

1. nate_n_sabNew MemberMember

My girlfriend and i have 6 female guppies, and 3 males guppies in a 10 gallon tank right now, 3 of the female guppies are clearly pregnant as their gravid spots are quite clear. However, the largest female is bulging like crazy, and looks almost as if she were pregnant, size-wise compared to pictures ive seen online, but where her gravid spot would be, she has a dark area, which isnt as dark as the other's spots, and very red in colour, do you think she is pregnant? she has also been spending a lot of time behind the tank's heater, and being pretty aggresive to the other males and females that come near the heater, and ive read at other sites that hiding by the heater are signs of pregnancy, should i get ready to use the breeder tank?

2. ncjeValued MemberMember

I know strange isnt it. I had this same experience recently. No black gravid spot at all. Just fat as a whale, aggresive little monster. Anyway she popped out a bunch of babies, I caught her eating them along with the other tank mates... I saved one :p Anyway could be the same. I was very surprised.

3. nate_n_sabNew MemberMember

i think she might be pregnant then, because on very close inspection, there are a few little tiny black spots which look like eyes right up almost underneath the lungs, and i found another female to be pregnant, i think that now makes 5/6 females if they actually all are having babies....

4. ncjeValued MemberMember

Guppies are breeding machines.... if you actually made the effort and worked hard on all baby survival (and including offspring of offsrping) in a year you could produce about 2000 fry of a healthy happy nature with the ones you have.

5. 0morrokhFishlore VIPMember

A little off the subject, the tank is overstocked... going by the 12 inches of surface area rule, you can have 6 female Guppies (I'm assuming it's a standard 10 by 20 inch), and going by the inch per gallon rule, you can have 4 female Guppies. Or, respectively, you could have 10-11 male Guppies or 6-7 male Guppies. Or...2 male and 5 female, or 1 male and 3 females. I would aim more towards the inch per gallon rule (less fish), but of course it's your choice. I wouldn't leave it so stocked though. What is your nitrate reading?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice