Pregnant guppy

1. kaleyconniving Member Member

Can you tell if it's too soon for her to be in a breeder net? I can tell she's gotten quite large now and she's really getting fed up with the males and has been swimming close to the gravel, I was wondering about how long until she gives birth? I don't want to keep her in it too long but I also don't want to be too late and have her birth them in the tank.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

Pictures

Attached Files:

2. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

I'd say she had a week or so to go, she's big but not looking like she's starting to square off yet.
    They can get very stressed in breeding traps, imo it's best to let them give birth in the main tank & net any fry out if you want to save a number of fry, the fry are also good at hiding if you have lots of plants.
    They can have 30+ fry every 28/30 days so if you save all the fry you'll very soon be overstocked.

3. animalfreak Initiate Member

Her gravid spot isn't that dark, but she is WAY bigger than my female guppy who just gave birth yesterday. So I would say no, don't move her out of the breeders net. You shouldn't have put her in it in the first place - moving pregnant females stresses them out and can cause the fry to abort. So be careful. I'm sure she's fine just don't move a pregnant female again.

4. kaleyconniving Member Member

She's not fancy and neither is her mate they are feeders, not to sound heartless but if she aborts them it's not that big of a deal I'm just not wanting to have to try and net them out of the main tank and be over populated, I will probably end up giving them to the lfs or using them to aid in cycling a new tank.

5. kaleyconniving Member Member

So she did give birth but that was a week ago and it was only 4 fry, I've been waiting to see if there are anymore but it's been a week. She's not quite as big as she was but she is still huge( bigger than she was before impregnated), she surpasses the male 3 times in size and they are the same age.

Attached Files: