10 Gallon Tank Pregnant guppy ? or sick?

desireemaxine

I swear my guppy is pregnant i rescued her from an abandoned tank on April 7 and she already looked this pregnant it is now May 25 and no babies and idk if i’m wrong about her being pregnant ? or she’s sick? there are dark spots on her i don’t think that’s norma, this is her. PLEASE help i don’t know anything (also PS i’ve done 2 tank changes since and did another one right after these were taken, i’ve tested the water also to make sure conditions are perfect) and the temperate in her tank is also where it should be. i have no other fish either. she also seems to be top heavy now IE: the first picture

Attachments

• 5B23AC18-5701-404B-9A87-C77D75BDA7C7.jpeg
    5B23AC18-5701-404B-9A87-C77D75BDA7C7.jpeg
    175.3 KB · Views: 13
  • 566B5783-5C10-49F4-80C2-ABCE269AA077.jpeg
    566B5783-5C10-49F4-80C2-ABCE269AA077.jpeg
    123.1 KB · Views: 13
  • ADC04CB4-31ED-4910-A44F-7F6431D4794D.jpeg
    ADC04CB4-31ED-4910-A44F-7F6431D4794D.jpeg
    184.2 KB · Views: 13

Demeter

That would be a very bloated male, he may have dropsy but I see his scales are sticking out like a pine cone yet. It may be worth trying an epsom salt bath for 30mins at about 2tsp per half gallon. You should also stop feeding for a couple days and see if he poops. White/clear, very thin stringy poo may indicate internal parasites, which can sometimes cause bloating like that.

Honestly I do not think he will recover, his condition is not looking great. Hoping for the best though! If he has an interest in food then there is some hope. When they stop eating it’s a bad sign.

Upvote 0

desireemaxine

That would be a very bloated male, he may have dropsy but I see his scales are sticking out like a pine cone yet. It may be worth trying an epsom salt bath for 30mins at about 2tsp per half gallon. You should also stop feeding for a couple days and see if he poops. White/clear, very thin stringy poo may indicate internal parasites, which can sometimes cause bloating like that.

Honestly I do not think he will recover, his condition is not looking great. Hoping for the best though! If he has an interest in food then there is some hope. When they stop eating it’s a bad sign.
i did extensive research after i posted and figured dropsy as well, im so sad. he still swims around and is active and loves to eat. greets me in the corner of his tank where i feed him everytime he sees me. but he hasn’t pooped in a while that i’ve seen. will take your advice thank you

Upvote 0

emeraldking

Why did you think it was a female? For it's definitely a male. And yes, he's very bloated. From these pics I just can't see if his scales are open or not. Maybe my eyes ain't that good. But to be sure, try to make a picture from the top. So, we can see if the scales are really open or not.

Upvote 0

desireemaxine

Why did you think it was a female? For it's definitely a male. And yes, he's very bloated. From these pics I just can't see if his scales are open or not. Maybe my eyes ain't that good. But to be sure, try to make a picture from the top. So, we can see if the scales are really open or not.
Just assumed bc everyone said she looked pregnant. i didnt know anything about guppy’s prior to this i saved this fish because someone left it in an almost empty tank in the sun by the dumpster at my apartments :( from what i can see the scales aren’t open yet but will try another photo.
Just assumed bc everyone said she looked pregnant. i didnt know anything about guppy’s prior to this i saved this fish because someone left it in an almost empty tank in the sun by the dumpster at my apartments :( from what i can see the scales aren’t open yet but will try another photo.
he won’t let me get a good picture from the top, he’s very active. but i observed him again and there’s definitely no opening scales

Upvote 0

emeraldking

there’s definitely no opening scales
Then it's not dropsy. You can rule that out...

Upvote 0

desireemaxine

Then it's not dropsy. You can rule that out...
i can rule it out? or is it just early stages of the dropsy ? he still has energy and loves to eat.

Upvote 0

emeraldking

i can rule it out? or is it just early stages of the dropsy ? he still has energy and loves to eat.
If it's dropsy, his scales starts to open. That he's bloated should have another cause.

Upvote 0

desireemaxine

If it's dropsy, his scales starts to open. That he's bloated should have another cause.
if he’s bloated how can i help him? and is it really just bloat if he’s been that way for 2 months now? i tried the epsom salt soak already.

Upvote 0

emeraldking

If it's just bloat, boiled pea could help. But if it's really dropsy and it has been like 2 months, then no cure will help.
But also worms could be the problem if this guppy looks bloated.

Upvote 0

desireemaxine

If it's just bloat, boiled pea could help. But if it's really dropsy and it has been like 2 months, then no cure will help.
But also worms could be the problem if this guppy looks bloated.
as an update he is worse. tried the peas, epsom salt, etc. going to try fasting him longer before the peas this time. when i first got him i used to see him poop now i don’t anymore. his stomach is way bigger and now there’s a second smaller bump beginning to form on the back of his body (where he would be pooping from) so i’m thinking maybe that is build up from not pooping? im so worried about him being in pain but he still swims a lot and is always eager to eat

Upvote 0

emeraldking

It could be a build up indeed of not pooping. Try to watch him.

Upvote 0

desireemaxine

It could be a build up indeed of not pooping. Try to watch him.
could there be blockage? like is he just going to die? cause i feel bad giving him peas if he physically is unable to go ?

Upvote 0

emeraldking

could there be blockage? like is he just going to die? cause i feel bad giving him peas if he physically is unable to go ?
A blockage can happen. If he can't defecate, he can have serious problems. Try not to feed him for a day and see what happens.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• SamanthaJane
  • Guppy
Replies
Views
SamanthaJane
  • Question
  • Chloemarie
  • Guppy
Replies
Views