pregnant guppy no longer pregnant?

1. k9z3boys Member Member

we were given about 15 guppies from someone who was thinning out her tank- she gave us a variety of males/females. so far no problems with them ( other than when they tried to eat the baby pleco-- that doesn't count)
    one of the big females was pregnant when we got her-- you could see the gravid spot, see the wiggling and the eyes.. we put her in a breeder basket on a couple of occasions so the babies would not all get eaten right away- she never had any babies! if guppy gestation is 28 days, its been 31 and she was pregnant when we got her. could the stress of being in the breeder basket cause her to reabsorb them or something else weird? she still looks the same... no sign of babies... been too long,
    any ideas?

2. Flowingfins Fishlore VIP Member

She may have eaten them.

3. k9z3boys Member Member

but she still looks big and fat.... i thought about her and the others having eaten them... but she would be skinnier....right?

4. Flowingfins Fishlore VIP Member

guppies can store sperm fur up to three months so she could be pregnant again.

5. spiffynid Initiate Member

She may have reabsorbed them from the stress of the move. I've never had much luck with guppies-I put the ladies in the breeder box too soon, they stress and loose the lot.

6. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Guppies will re absorb their fry & sometimes even delay birth if they're stressed, she could also have eaten them.
    It's better to let them give birth in the main tank & net any fry you see if you want to save some, though if you save them every time you'll soon be in the same position as the person who gave them to you & have way too many.

7. k9z3boys Member Member

i wondered about that...seemed odd but plausible.