Pregnant Guppy? I didn't think any were pregnant until I saw 1 fry

Discussion in 'Guppy' started by jokerrk, Nov 29, 2012.

1. j

jokerrk Valued Member Member

Hi Guys,

I have 6 female guppies, 3 male, and 2 cory cat fish. - 20 Gallon Tank
    I had 3 female and 3 male for about 3 weeks and just yesterday added the other 6.
    I was feeding them today and I noticed something go up quick and down quick. And when I looked closely it was a baby fish. So I immediately went to buy a mesh fish breeder net. I tried to put the female in the net, and when I did she was going nuts. She was attacking the net and I figured she was stressed, so I let her out and started to find the baby and finally got him and put it in the net. I am not sure which one is pregnant. They all have the gravid spot on the back and none of them really look big. What should I do? Should I let the female stay in there and start going nuts or just catch the baby fish when they come out?

2. Eienna

Eienna Fishlore VIP Member

I would just catch the babies and put them in the net, if being in there freaks the adults out so badly and they didn't eat the one baby right away. I'm surprised it wasn't munched by the time you got the breeder net.

3. OP
    OP
    j

jokerrk Valued Member Member

Is it normal for a guppy to give birth to only 1 baby? Because I dont see any more anywhere. The one I found was swimming inside the plants I have in the tank. I have 2 plants where baby fish can swim through and the adults cant fit

4. Eienna

Eienna Fishlore VIP Member

Well...it's probable the others were eaten. I had that happen with my Molly - only found one baby.

5. C

Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

General rule of thumb. If you have guppies, they are pregnant.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice