Pregnant guppy... HELP!

Discussion in 'Guppy' started by Emily1234, Apr 3, 2010.

1. Emily1234Valued MemberMember

My pregnant guppy is giving birth at the moment there are about 25 fry in the breeders tank and she still looks really big. When do i take her out? and how long do i keep the fry in there?

2. aquariumgirl laurenValued MemberMember

Keep the pregnant guppy in there until she doesn't look big anymore. It might take a couple hours or even a day before all the fry are out. Keep the fry in the tank for at least 3 weeks or until they are big enough that they won't get eaten in your main tank. Congrats in your guppy fry!

3. Aquarist

AquaristFishlore LegendMember

Congrats on the fry Emily! I hope you can share some photos with us sometime.
    Enjoy your new additions :)
    Ken

4. OP
    OP
    E

Emily1234Valued MemberMember

ummm.... one of them has 2 heads and its still alive. What do i do?

5. Aquarist

Emily I recommend letting mother nature take its course. Sometimes things like this happen and there really isn't anything we can do. I'd be very surprised if it survives for long. :(
    Ken

6. OP
    OP
    E

thanks for all the advice.... The one with 2 heads has been alive for about 12 hours so its doing ok i guess. If it is still alive tomorrow i will post a picture. Just a few other questions (sorry for all of them). Would it be better to divide the tank and put them in one side and leave the others in the opposite side after they have grown out of the breeders tank because there are over 30 in there at the moment. And what type of food is best for them?
    Thanks

7. Aquarist

Hello Emily,

You never have to apologize for asking questions :) You can divide the tank if you like to keep the babies safe. However, keep an eye on your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels as that's a good many fish in a 20l tank. If you have the space and the means, another tank for the fry might be a good idea. Something to think about. As they begin to grow the waste they produce is going to grow too causing ammonia issues. Ammonia can be fatal to your fish.

There is a food out there called First Bites that I've seen mentioned. However, Guppies I had many years ago, I just crushed up the flakes really fine and they all did very well.

Ken

8. aquariumgirl laurenValued MemberMember

One of your guppy fry has two heads? Wow I have never heard of that before.

9. OP
    OP
    E

ok and yes one of them has two heads, its really weird. Thanks for the advice.

10. Akari_32

Akari_32Fishlore LegendMember

if ur lil 2 headed fishy survives, it may best to keep it seperate from the others so it gets enought to eat and doesnt reproduce. other than that comment, every one else has very good advice! good luck!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice