Pregnant Guppy died

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emily1234

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Over the past few days my female guppy has been acting strange and hanging around the bottom of the tank and not eating... I didn't no what to do so i just left it but she died today.
She was just about ready to give birth again but her gravid spot went red??? All my other fish are acting fine, should i be worried about them? And has this happened to anyone else?

Thanks for any advice
Emily

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning Emily,

Sorry to hear you lost her. Are your water parameters where they should be with 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and under 20 nitrates?

It could have been birthing complications. Just really hard to say

Let's see what other responses you receive. If your other fish are acting fine and eating well and your readings are where they should be, I wouldn't worry too much at this point.

Ken

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Yes, I have had probs with guppies. My water has always been as Ken suggests, but they seem to all get weak and die with no symptoms. Usually they start to swim with their tails down, then they die a few days/a week later. I don't know what it is, but I guess it's just the guppies in my area are weak... Male/female, no specific reasons. I'm raising fry at the moment, hope they don't do the same

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello Emily,

I suggest daily water changes and add some Prime or Amquel + to detox the ammonia for a 24 hour period until it's time for the next water change. Keep up with the daily changes until you have 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and under 20 nitrates.

Once you've added a chemical to detox the ammonia, wait 24 hours to test for more accurate results.

Good luck!
Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Weekly

Votes: 61 65.6%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 12 12.9%
  • Monthly

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 18 19.4%

Top Bottom