Pregnant Guppy Died? :(

Jfzqjj

Okay so I’ve had this guppy for a few weeks now and the past week or so she started getting big and her gravid spot was getting bigger. I assumed she was pregnant because I had a male guppy in the tank at one point.

Today I checked the tank and my guppy was dead. completely white, and her head was detached and her big belly was completely gone!

It’s a 20 gallon cycled tank, all levels good, tank mates were a betta, mystery snail, 2 corys (yes I’m getting more), and 2 ghost shrimp. So I’m sure the state I found her in is because they made quick work of the body.

Could it maybe have been dropsy?? I know that staying in one place for long periods of time is a sign of that, but I know that is also a sign of pregnancy. Other than her sitting in one spot for a while, she was fairly normal and still ate and swam around and everything. Her gills or scales never stuck out although she did look large and boxy. I’ve attached a picture for somewhat of a reference. Just trying to figure out what could have happened!

Attachments

Guppy_Lover713

A decent guess I have for her death is the betta attacked and killed her and the corys and shrimp ate up her body. Can't say that for sure (especially since the female is colorless), but it's a possibility. How long has the betta and guppy been together for? Also what are the levels specifically?

From the picture she was definitely pregnant, and it looked like she was gonna give birth like literally any day from when the picture was taken. So another possibility is she maybe died from stress.

FishWithTim

No need to go straight into attacking the betta, guppies can die giving birth if they get to stressed out. Which is why it's best to get a breeder box. (Mine died after giving birth to two fry) it's not common though so don't get discouraged.

alex0429

Sure it could've been the Betta but since there's other fish in there, I doubt it. It most likely died trying to give birth due to stress. Have you tested the water?

Jfzqjj

Guppy_Lover713 said:
A decent guess I have for her death is the betta attacked and killed her and the corys and shrimp ate up her body. Can't say that for sure (especially since the female is colorless), but it's a possibility. How long has the betta and guppy been together for? Also what are the levels specifically?

From the picture she was definitely pregnant, and it looked like she was gonna give birth like literally any day from when the picture was taken. So another possibility is she maybe died from stress.
The ph is 7.0, ammonia nitrite and nitrate all 0 ppm, temperature is 79. The betta and guppy have been together for as long as I’ve had the guppy so about 3 weeks and they have gotten along just fine, the betta has never paid attention to the guppy from what I’ve seen anyway. I’m glad I can get confirmation that she was indeed pregnant. And like you said, it looked like it was gonna be any day!

BettaFishKeeper4302 said:
No need to go straight into attacking the betta, guppies can die giving birth if they get to stressed out. Which is why it's best to get a breeder box. (Mine died after giving birth to two fry) it's not common though so don't get discouraged.
Yeah the betta and guppy were completely fine together haha. I guess I should have gotten a box. I had planned to but when I decided I didn’t want to raise babies I figured she would be fine to have them in her home tank and I would just let nature take it’s course. She didn’t seem stressed and she had several hiding places in there so I assumed she’d be fine but things happen I suppose!

What’s unfortunate is that she was special because my LPS only sells showy colorful guppies which I couldn’t have with my betta. She just happened to be mixed in with a tank full of marigold platys and I spotted her and wanted her. Now I have to figure out if I can find any plain dull guppies nearby! Haha

Puzzler Fish

She could have died due to strees, but I would find it weird cause is such a big tank for not so many fish. When pregnant guppies are about to give birth, they release an hormone that often make male guppies chase them to pressure the female to release the babies (cause guppies eat their own babies). Maybe she got stressed, or this hormone affects the other fish, like the betta, and he attacked her. Idk, these are just guesses.

Back40Guppy

Actually I have had a handful of females pass giving birth and I know other breeders have spoke about it. Parameters perfect. Did not seem stressed. Next morning, a goner with maybe a fry or two. Being a male, I cannot comment on what being pregnant and giving birth is like however, sure looks stressful to me. Happens to human females. Used to be frequently back in the old days. It does suck though especially when it’s one of the pride.

Top Bottom