Pregnant guppy? Dark gravid spot but not much belly.

darionajanuary

Hey guys!
I just got this guppy yesterday and I can’t really tell if she’s pregnant or how far along she might be. She seems to have a pretty dark gravid spot (though it’s not large is size) but doesn’t have the stomach size that I would expect from a pregnant fish with a gravid spot that dark. What do you guys think? Photos for reference.

This is my first tank so maybe I’m way off. Maybe she’s not pregnant, maybe she’ll give birth tomorrow. I’m pretty clueless haha. Any tips you guys have on identifying pregnancy would be great.
Thanks!

ahouseofscales

Most likely pregnant but not very far along. Guppies that are about to give birth will be 'squared off'. If you search that on google you should be able to find reference pics.

Upvote 0

emeraldking

She "could be" (so, it doesn't have to) pregnant but the showing a gravid spot itself does not mean a pregnancy to start with. Also non pregnant females will show a gravid spot. So, if someone is saying that because of a visible gravid spot, this female is indeed pregnant, that would be an inaccurate thing to say.
But in case, she is pregnant, she would be at an early stage of pregnancy. Squaring off happens only if she's using her max gestation period. For not all female guppies that are almost due will have a squared off shape. So, when a female guppy squares off, you'll know for sure that it won't last that long anymore before she'll drop fry.

Upvote 0

darionajanuary

She "could be" (so, it doesn't have to) pregnant but the showing a gravid spot itself does not mean a pregnancy to start with. Also non pregnant females will show a gravid spot. So, if someone is saying that because of a visible gravid spot, this female is indeed pregnant, that would be an inaccurate thing to say.
But in case, she is pregnant, she would be at an early stage of pregnancy. Squaring off happens only if she's using her max gestation period. For not all female guppies that are almost due will have a squared off shape. So, when a female guppy squares off, you'll know for sure that it won't last that long anymore before she'll drop fry.
Super helpful! Thank you!

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
emeraldking
  • Blueberrybetta
  • Guppy
Replies
Views
emeraldking
  • SamanthaJane