Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
awright11902

awright11902

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
She still hasn't had any babies but she is staying at the top either on top of the filter or at the surface of the water...is that normal?

JustKeepSwimming

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I always get anxious around the time my guppies drop! It's exciting to see the new fry.

Btw, Craigslist is a great method of 'culling' if you need to get rid of a few. People love free guppies.

OP
awright11902

awright11902

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
This is my first time having fish babies of any kind so Im trying to make sure I do it right. I have her in a tank by herself, she was very pregnant when I got her so I never put her in with the others. I just hope she doesnt have them at night and eat them all before I can get her out! Does her size say anything about how many she might have?

OP
awright11902

awright11902

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
PLEASE HELP! She has something sticking out of her vent, some kind of sac??? Cant get a good pic yet dont want to stress her out with flash and its dark but will get one on soon...any ideas??

Nancyhl

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
PLEASE HELP! She has something sticking out of her vent, some kind of sac??? Cant get a good pic yet dont want to stress her out with flash and its dark but will get one on soon...any ideas??
Is she ok now? I can't see what it is, but I also have guppy and when they r having their fry it doesn't look like that the little guys just come out swimming trying to get away before she eats them. Soon you will have tons of fry they, keep breeding about every month for a while even if you don't have a male guppy in ur tank. They keep the sperm for a few months and just keep breeding.

OP
awright11902

awright11902

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
a little bit better pictures

No she is still the same, I don't know what this is or what to do for her. She looks very uncomfortable and is staying at the surface of the water, hasn't wanted food...could she not be pregnant and something be wrong with her instead or maybe she has too many babies in there??? shes huge! Is there anything I should do or just wait and see? I'm so worried...

Attachments

ghardin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I cannot be sure, but she looks a little like my play did when I thought she was pregnant, but she really just died from prolapse

OP
awright11902

awright11902

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
She is gone and no babies when i got back from buying medicine and clove oil(was going to try to cure her but wanted to have clove oil in case she got worse) she was floating upside down against the thermometer but still barely breathing so I euthanized her so she wouldnt suffer whatever was hanging out looked like it exploded or something and i could see a baby but it looked unformed...not sure what this was so wondering if i should still treat the tank or since its a new tank, completely empty and clean it and put new filter in? Thanks

JustKeepSwimming

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I don't suggest completely emptying your tank unless she had ich or something. To me it just seems that something went wrong with her pregnancy. I've heard of this happening with some female guppies. I'm sorry for your loss.

OP
awright11902

awright11902

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Ok, i dont think it was ich because she looked ok except for the thing sticking out of her stomach...it was very disturbing and i was so hoping the medicine i got might help so it was sad to see her dying when i got back, but i guess if it was just a pregnancy complication then medicine wouldn't have helped anyway So should i do anything to the tank she was in? I hope my other females dont have the same thing happen to them. I was so happy that I had not had a single death since I started 4 months ago, but the weird thing is I got all my fish except this one guppy from petco. This one that died came from petsmart. The rest seem ok( I have a betta, 2 male guppies and 3 female guppies now in one tank and 6 albino cories and one albino pleco in the second tank and I put the males in here when I need to separate them) but the guppy females that she was in the tank with temporarily(in a breeder net) while i set up the other tank have gotten quite a bit bigger in the last week, but i think they are all pregnant so thats normal right?

JustKeepSwimming

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The belly growth is normal. Guppies will drop fry every 30 days, but they might also hold onto them longer and drop them periodically throughout the month. You might see one, then five the next day, ten two days after that, etc.

Unless there was an illness with her I don't think you should drain the tank, since it's either cycled or cycling. If your other guppies look healthy, just leave it be. Watch for signs of fungus, ich, or anything abnormal aside from their pregnancies.

It is sad but it happens, and if she had some kind of a defect it might be better that she's not spreading it to her future fry anyway, so hopefully it helps to think of it that way anyway. I had a guppy with a bent back, and while he was beautiful to me, he was inappropriate to breed.

As for the betta with the guppies, if your guppies are very colorful, I wouldn't keep them together long. How's he doing? Or is it female? I had a betta in with my guppies once and it was fine for almost a month, then when he got comfortable he started chasing them around. Be careful with that. It can stress the females to get chased and would cause pregnancy complications, so just watch them.

OP
awright11902

awright11902

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thank you for the great advice! I will do that. As for the betta, when i put the guppies in he flared for the first time since ive had him, it was beautiful but I immediately got scared i would have to take them out. But i think i have the most passive betta ever because after that one flare he just kinda swam away and did his own thing! A few guppies got curious and went to check him out and he looked like he was staring them down and then they swam away and have gotten along ever since, its only been about 2 weeks though. Ive been watching for any fighting and havent seen any. The only thing ive seen him try to intimidate is the ghost shrimp if it grabsthe bettas food before hes done with it, and he just kind of stares at the ghost shrimp until it drops the food lol i will keep an eye out for any fighting though and move thr guppies to my other tank if need be, but right now its just the male guppies bugging the females, should i separate them now?

JustKeepSwimming

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You're welcome!

The male guppies will always chase the females, it's natural. How many males to females do you have? If you have too many males that could also be a problem. Ideally, you should have one male to every three females.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Weekly

Votes: 43 65.2%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 10 15.2%
  • Monthly

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 12 18.2%

Top Bottom