Pregnant Guppy At This Age?

Discussion in 'Guppy' started by wildboy84, Apr 11, 2010.

1. wildboy84

wildboy84New MemberMember

Hi,
    I have a guppy mom and after about 3 weeks of having her I moved her to her own tank to have her babies. After about a week I noticed two guppies at the surface of the tank, one problem It was the wrong tank! Well I moved them to the smaller tank so they didn't get eaten, and the mom didn't have any babies, but she still looks pregnant. But now one of the babies (about 4-5 weeks old now) looks REALLY big in the stomach for its overall size. There is no way Its pregnant right? I mean its not even and inch long!

2. steed1172

steed1172Well Known MemberMember

i know guppies can give birth of a young age, im not sure of the age though, but i have a guppy that is about 3/4 inch long(with tail) that gifted me with around 40 fry.

3. OP
    OP
    wildboy84

Wow, thats amazing. I don't no how old she really is, but shes growing fast! Could you tell if it was a boy or girl when it first got pregnant?

4. steed1172

i could tell it was a girl, my guppies are "regular" i saved them from feeders awhile ago(which i actualy saw some fancy guppies as FEEDERS the other day, i wish i had cash that day....)anyway, my boys have all the colors, they are smaller than my girls, and have a "modified" analfin, used for reproduction, that the female doesn't- so even if i had a pair of guppies that (for some reason) neither had colors, i could tell which was the boy or girl, by the bottom fins.)

5. OP
    OP
    wildboy84

Thanks for your help, the mom was pregnant when I got her so I hope that I get a couple boys, I'm curious what they will look like.

6. steed1172

well that could be a surprise!... just hope you don't have to wait a few months... and find out your new kids are hideous!.. lol... have fun and breed responsibly :D

7. OP
    OP
    wildboy84

Yeah, One of my teachers has fish in her class room and their from about 10 years of sloppy inbreeding and they are hideous. There backs are all deformed and there colors are just ugly. She also has about 23 in an 8 gallon tank.

8. steed1172

oh my... thats terrible!!!deformed..overstocked-ouch!

9. OP
    OP
    wildboy84

Yeah, I have to look at it every time I get a tissue (the clean-ex box is next to the tank). As if school isn't depressing enough!