Pregnant guppies?

Fishmad

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi I have several female guppies that I believe are pregnant but need some advice as to how soon you think they’ll give birth. There is one in particular that is larger than the others and her Gravid spot is very dark but not huge. I want to separate the ones about to give birth to a separate tank but not if it’s too early. I’ve attached some pics for reference.

Attachments

GuppyDazzle

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It's so hard to tell. I've had females that looked like they were going to explode any minute, and they didn't have fry, and I've had females that looked skinny that dropped 30. The only way I know when a female is going to drop is if I know when she was bred.

I don't recommend breeder boxes. I've tried them a few times, but never had a female drop in one. I think it stresses them out pretty bad. Not only a weird environment for them, but other fish keep coming up and nipping at the breeder box. Stuffing the tank with plants will help the fry survive. I'm lucky enough now to have lines where the adults don't eat the fry.

Flyfisha

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
If you are going to move a pregnant female just do it.
Personally I think you are much better off just catching the fry OFTEN first thing in the morning
. I have never had a female drop in a breeder box,
I have had a female miss a batch of fry just because she was moved her to a new tank .

New Threads