Pregnant Guppies Help

1. BGK Unlimited Initiate Member

Its been a long time that I haven't ask questions about my guppies... for the last month I've been observing my two female 1 male red lace guppies in my 20 gallon tank... I have speculated that my older female is pregnant for almost a week but after this month I see no gravid spot on my female so as the other one... Now my females cannibalize my male and still their are no signs of gravid spot in my females.. :(
    Questions:
    1.Do all female guppy in pregnancy stage show gravid spot week or days before giving birth?
    2.Why do they eat the male guppy? Is it because its too young or unpairable ?
    3.Do all guppies do live birth or some could bear eggs ?

2. Kellye8498 Well Known Member Member

I haven't seen a guppy cannibalize another unless it was already dead or dying. What are your water parameters?

3. Princethepurplebetta Member Member

Im not sure about the gravid spot, but guppies do give live birth they dont lay eggs. Usually theyll only eat the other fish if its already dead.

4. BGK Unlimited Initiate Member

I have good water parameters I have tested it yesterday... about the temperature since Im living in a tropical country their are no issues about that... I feel like my male guppy is for the last month didn't pair well with the female... I found him dead hiding today (it was alive yesterday) the tail was ripped of eyes are gone from biting so as the dorsals...

5. BettaPonic Well Known Member Member

Guppies only give live birth. Gravid spot is showed by all females. Sometimes killers of Guppies can be sex specific. Could something else be killing your fish? Guppies don't pair. They mate and that's it. The female is capable of storing sperm. What is good water quality? Live plants might add cover. I would guess your fish aren't getting enough food either. If the fish dies of something else the remakes will eat it.