pregnant guppies

Discussion in 'Guppy' started by chammy99uk, May 4, 2006.

1. chammy99ukNew MemberMember

Well Im new to this but have read a lot on the net about tropical fish and know now that these 2 new fish I bought about two weeks ago are female guppies,the black mark on there underneath is what is called a gravid spot so I also know they are pregnant too. My problem is I already have 9 male guppies and although they all seem to be getting on fine this one male keeps picking on the biggest female. It looks to me like hes nipping her belly on her gravid spot, like hes trying to bite her and chasing her around the tank where ever she goes, i actually had to put him in a net for a couple of hours so she could get a bit of peace. He doesnt seem to bother her when the light is off but I like the light on now and again, no point having them if we cant see them eh? I have an assortment of other fish and they dont seem to be bothered by the new ones either, its just this one guppy. Any idea why this is? ???

2. ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

Usually you have 1 male for each 2 females to prevent this very thing;) if there are more females than males they spread their attention around instead of picking one and harrassing her :)
    Carol

3. 0morrokhFishlore VIPMember

Two females will get bullied by so many males. You will need to either increase your females by a lot or else move them to another tank.

4. chammy99ukNew MemberMember

Thanks for your quick reply, I thought that might have been what was wrong. I am giving the 2 females to a mate but we have to wait till her bf gets her tank down from the attic and sets it up again. i realise i made a mistake buying these fish without asking about them. At the moment since I let the male out of the net he hasnt been bothering the female so far, like hes learnt not to be a bully. Lol.
    There was a baby swimming about the tank the other day but one of the tetras ate it so I'm assuming there will be more babies sometime soon, gonna get a breeding net for them later today to keep them safe although my tanks already a bit crowded so cant keep them either, I will have to give them to my mate too.

5. mistycheriValued MemberMember

I have a male guppy that does the same thing to my female platy. I finally had to put him in another tank. I have two female platy's, one male molly (who doesn't bother the females). and this one guppy that aggravates the out of that one female platy. He did the same thing to another male guppy I had, which eventually died. :(

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice