Pregnant guppie staying close to heater

1. yellow guppy Initiate Member

I have 2 pregnant guppies and one is staying close to the heater in the tank. I was wondering why would she do this?

2. Jason Well Known Member Member

She could be sick sometimes fish hide at the back of the tank if they are sick or she could just be hiding from others in the tank which pester her. Or she coulld be nearing the end of pregnancy and the babies will be born soon because females will seclude themselves when they are about to give birth. So I'd think as you know that she is pregnant she may be about to give birth. Watch her closely and let us know how it goes..

3. yellow guppy Initiate Member

Thank-You for replying. I started out with 2 males and 2 females about 2 weeks ago. Last thursday I picked up 2 more females, due to the one male was aggressive toward the other male. Friday night I lost one of the new females and saturday I lost the pregnant one. I then exchanged the aggressive male for a different one and bought two more females to replace the ones that died. I also had the water tested and it was fine. On sunday morning I woke up to losing one more female and found 4 babies. The babies are in a breeding net. Is there any way that my pregnant one had these before she died? And that we did not find them until sunday? Please advise on this. This is all new to me. I started this for my children and actually I am more involved and excited about this then they are. I just want to do my best. Thanks Naomi

4. onelovie Member Member

I would say there is a good chance the babies were born before the pregnant mom died. The little guys seem to be very good at hiding, so they could have been in there a day or two before you noticed them! Good luck with your guppies. But beware, this hobby is addicting! Have fun. :)