Pregnant Ghost Shrimp?

Discussion in 'Ghost Shrimp' started by Quentin, Apr 18, 2019.

1. QuentinValued MemberMember

In my classic fashion I went to the lfs to grab some plants and ended up coming home with a ghost shrimp. I also believe it is pregnant? But I am new to shrimp so I’m unsure any help is great

Attached Files:

2. FanaticFishlore VIPMember

It's not considered pregnant, as shrimp are not livebearers, instead you would say berried.

I bought about a dozen ghost shrimp and threw them all into my community tank, several of the females were berried with eggs, they hatched and I had baby shrimplets all over the place.
    Most of the parents and babies got eating by my fish, which is what I expected, but it was fun to see some baby survivors in the tank occasionally.

3. Skullkong101Valued MemberMember

Yes it's berried! Congrats! However if the shrimp dies soon unexpectedly then it may be a fungus

4. RtessyFishlore VIPMember

The fungus is very fluffy and I think only affects neocaridina, luckily these are eggs!! Congrats OP!

5. Skullkong101Valued MemberMember

Thats what I was thinking. I very highly doubted it being a fungus.

6. QuentinValued MemberMember

Yay eggs! Okay sooooo how exactly do I go about raising them?

7. Skullkong101Valued MemberMember

Well with ghost shrimp they sometime eat there babies i advise giving them like a small tank with no fish. the mom doesn't lay the eggs she keeps them till they hatch. Leave there jolts in as the provide nutrients and feed them powdered food. Also use sponge filters. Or cover you filter with a aquarium safe sponge.

8. RtessyFishlore VIPMember

Move the mom a day or two after you see white specks to a tank with a sponge filter or similar and a lot of moss. You'll need a lot of small plants, the babies hunt infusoria for the first week before undergoing metamorphosis, sometimes pellet food that sits for a few hours works.

9. QuentinValued MemberMember

So I’m only in high school and can’t have 2 tanks, I have a breeder box I can put in the main tank would that work?

10. Skullkong101Valued MemberMember

A breeder box could work i would advise putting a net or something with holes around it so they don't escape. Also add more and maybe a few rocks. But don't make it to fancy. Just enough to lower stress.

11. RtessyFishlore VIPMember

If the mesh is real tight, yeah! They don't get stressed like livebearers, and if they do, they'll drop the eggs, but they'll still hatch with enough flow, just make sure there's plants