Pregnant Ghost Shrimp

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Tripp_theBetta, Apr 20, 2018.

1. Tripp_theBettaNew MemberMember

One of my two GhostShrimp appear to be pregnant, is there anything specific I should be doing for her? I give them bottom feed both meat based and alge, and keep the water balanced as expected, but is there anything more?

2. Abby565Valued MemberMember

No. The babies likely won't survive. They need special conditions to live past the first stage.

3. Tripp_theBettaNew MemberMember

Oh my god I'll move the shrimp to their own tank if need be

4. 2211NighthawkFishlore VIPMember

It’s not impossible, but it is hard. I don’t remember the details, but becuase they are SO tiny, they often get sucked up filter intakes or eaten. It IS possible because I managed to grow one to a juvenile.

5. 75g Discus TankFishlore VIPMember

The babies in their larval stage also have trouble eating and many of them starve to death. Soft foods or really finely crushed flakes should be able to feed the babies. As stated above, it is very difficult to raise the babies.

6. Tripp_theBettaNew MemberMember

Well petco is having their dollar per gallon sale where I'm at so I can make a effort to raise some baby shrimp, thank you guys for being so honest, I'll update the thread with how it goes

7. 2211NighthawkFishlore VIPMember

Like I said, totaly possible, but I think you need a healthy dose of luck.

8. RhakoValued MemberMember

This is kinda late but if you can find a net small enough, you can separate them into a breeder box. That would make them easier to feed and out of the filter, without buying a tank just for them. Just an idea, not experienced with shrimp. Good luck :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice