Pregnant ghost shrimp?

1. s

s hawk Well Known Member Member

Earlier this week I bought some shrimp that's another story though. My one ghost shrimp I think is pregnant "berried". Now I don't have any other ghost shrimp right now and I'd like to have some chance of keeping the fry. The little black things were moving so I moved her into an old breeding net. What's the next step looking like or how long until she gives birth (even if she is berried). [​IMG][​IMG]

2. tokiodreamy

tokiodreamy Well Known Member Member

Don't quote me on this since it's been years since I kept ghosts but I believe black or green eggs are not fertilized. Some shrimp carry eggs fert or not and others only carry when fert. Try doing some research on that.

What are the tank mates and do you have any plant cover? Also look into Bacter-AE from GlasGarten. Its a powder from germany that helps grow biofilm for shrimp and it has great reviews. I've been using it for a couple weeks and so far I have around 6+ baby cherry shrimp thriving and another berried momma.

3. OP
    OP
    s

Okay they are green. I'll look into it more. Some pearl danios and in theory another Amano shrimp. Actually I got the shrimp to clean off my plants. Thanks

4. Bithimala

Bithimala Fishlore VIP Member

As far as I know and ime, they will be green like that when they are not fertilized. Female ghosts will continue to have eggs even if there are no males around to fertilize them. I don't know if they will hold onto sperm like other inverts will... if not, then there won't be any babies since you said that she is the only one in the tank.

5. OP
    OP
    s

Thanks everyone. I looked online and couldn't find a concise answer. I'm also going to just trust fishlore and take out the net. Thank you.

6. OP
    OP
    s

Unfortunately when I went to take out the net I found the shrimp dead. Figuring it was stress/couldn't find food in there. Got some of the eggs out and those were snacks for my fish. However I need to put my shrimp story here. So I went in to help my sister with betta stuff. I decided to get some ghost shrimp to better clean plants and they are really cheap. Well in the ghost shrimp tank there was a big Amano shrimp. I got him and told the associate to just get the first two she could net after that. Turns out for the cheap ghost shrimp price I got two Amano shrimp and one ghost $1.59 total. Unfortunately the big guy escaped, and the ghost died. Buy for 50 something cents each I can't complain too much.

7. Bithimala

Bithimala Fishlore VIP Member

Sorry to hear about the shrimp, but awesome buy to get amanos for the price of ghosts :)