Pregnant ghost shrimp

Discussion in 'Ghost Shrimp' started by Holmes529, Jun 24, 2016.

1. Holmes529

Holmes529New MemberMember

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1466807113.973101.jpg

Anyone know anything about dealing with pregnant ghost shrimp? When do their eggs hatch? How do I care for the babies? Give me all the info you can about ghost shrimp and their eggs

2. Sarah73

Sarah73Fishlore VIPMember

Hello :).
    First, pregnant ghost shrimp have either yellow or green eyes. image
    Second, when the "eggs" turn white/clear that means She will give birth in a day or so. Here's what they look like. imageimage
    Now it's very hard to feed the shrimplets when they are first born because they can't eat any food like RCS shrimplets. They need to eat micro-organisms. I had never been able to get any to survive:(.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2018
  3. gms63Valued MemberMember

The shrimplets are born in the larval stage unlike rcs whicb are born as mini adults. You can try feeding them small ammounts of spirulina power infusoria or green water. Its best if you keep them in a baby only tank with a sponge filter or a sponge covering an intake. If you have a heavily planted tank you might be able to cover the intake with sponge or something and they will eat off the plants.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice