Help Pregnant fish (w. pic)

image_image

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have a potentially pregnant balloon molly on my hands.
She's been lethargic lately. She hasn't been eating much, and she looks really bloated. Last week she was acting as if she had a swim bladder issue. She was hanging out at the bottom on the tank and unable to stay up at the top of the tank long enough to eat. I tried feeding her peas in case she was constipated, but she took little interest in them. Eventually, she pooped and seemed to be doing a little better.

Yesterday I noticed that her gills looked a little red. Assuming ammonia poisoning, I've been feeding them once per day until the their new tank is all set for them. I'm also doing water changed twice a day and her gills seem to look a little better.

This morning she was acting like she was when I thought she had a swim bladder issue. She was hanging out under the filter and just not acting like herself. Later on she pooped out this earwax colored substance about 1/8 of an inch in diameter. It was tubular shaped and hollow. In a previous thread it was suggested that maybe it was an aborted fry, and I should post pictures of the fish in hopes someone can tell me whether or not my balloon molly is pregnant...

BennyB

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
The boxy shape shows that she is pregnant. Idk about all that other stuff though, sounds like she's sick. What's your water test results?

image_image

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I last checked everything a few days ago & everything was normal, but the ammonia was .25ppm. I checked the ammonia today and it was 0.

She did give birth but it looks like the fry are underdeveloped & none of them are moving. They look like little yellow balls with eyes. Some have veins, some are more developed looking than others. There are even a couple mini fry that aren't moving at all.

I'm a photo student & so I would love to take these little guys and photograph them before I flush them. But before I do, I want to make sure that there is no chance any of them will make it.

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Do they look at all like what you saw her expel earlier?

I bet they would make for an awesome macro shoot. Macro's my thing and I'd like to see the photos you take if you do get them.

-Lisa

image_image

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
No. These actually can be identified as fry. But the yolk is still attached and not a single one thus far has moved. Now that whatever she birthed before has dried, it's definitely a deformed fry - but nothing like what she gave birth to tonight.

If I get anything good I will put 'em in my album or something.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

Best wishes for your fry and Molly.

I've moved your thread to the Live Bearers/Molly section of the forum to help you to receive more responses.

Ken

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom