Pregnant Danio?

Batmantheanglefish

So I got 2 pearl danios a few weeks ago (to test them out and see how the would do) and notice this one’s stomach is bigger. I’m thinking it’s pregnant? If it is how do I raise the fry as that would be fun to do as I’ve never had a pregnant fish. I have fish with them that would be more than happy to eat the fry....
the male has now started chasing her Is this normal also?

Attachments

• 819BF636-054A-4F46-A250-C7415ABA2356.jpeg
    819BF636-054A-4F46-A250-C7415ABA2356.jpeg
    119.1 KB · Views: 19

The_fishy

Danios are egg scatterers and will usually spawn with first light. If you would like to breed them, put them in something with a grid that will keep them from eating the eggs. The fry should hatch out in two or three days and are pretty tiny, but can eat first bites or live food of similar size. Keep in mind that you could get hundreds of eggs.

Upvote 0

Batmantheanglefish

Ok thanks! So can I put her in a breeding box so they won’t eat the eggs and ounce she lays the eggs put them back in the tank? Ounce the eggs are hatched I will transfer them to a different tank tank. I don’t have a cycled tank ready so that’s why I’m asking. I’ll start one right now. Also should I put just the female or the male and the female in there?

Upvote 0

The_fishy

Ok thanks! So can I put her in a breeding box so they won’t eat the eggs and ounce she lays the eggs put them back in the tank? Ounce the eggs are hatched I will transfer them to a different tank tank. I don’t have a cycled tank ready so that’s why I’m asking. I’ll start one right now. Also should I put just the female or the male and the female in there?
If you have a solid box with a grid insert, I would use that, since they try to eat the eggs the moment they are laid. The fry may be small enough for fish outside of the net to suction them out through mesh. Put both the female and male together. Sometimes I put them in a box with a grid separating them so that they breed right away when put together.

Upvote 0

Batmantheanglefish

Ok thanks I will do that! Hopefully the fry will hatch as I would like to raise them so I won’t have to buy more lol. Thanks for the help!

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
BigManAquatics
  • Question
Replies
Views
BigManAquatics
  • Question
Replies