Question Pregnant Danio Question

tatty_kassy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hello!
I have a danio that is most definitely pregnant, and I have been keeping an eye on her and shes doing good so far. I was just wondering how long do Danio's stay pregnant for? It seems like shes been like this two weeks so far, I wanted to know when I should expect to see eggs?
Thank you!

FredBjammin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
The first time my Glofish(danio) got full of eggs, I stuck her in a 29G tank with marbles and a male for about a week and a half before she sprayed her eggs. I had to play around with the water temp in the mornings with the lights off to get her to spray.

Because I didn't want to over pop my tanks I never repeated this again and now my one female Glofish has been permently deformed for the last several months with almost a perfic square stomic... I'm not sure why.

Danionins.com

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If she's mature, she can produce around 100+ eggs twice a week with very little difference in her appearance.

If you're not purposely set-up to spawn your Danios, they may be spawning and you don't even notice. They will typically spawn very early in the morning, usually at first light, and then immediately eat all the eggs they can find.

Dennis

tatty_kassy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Do they stay looking all fat even after they have laid eggs? Cuz I swear, shes looked "very" pregnant for over 2 weeks now, going on 3 weeks in a few days......

I also have an ADF in there too, he could possibly eat them as well??

FredBjammin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
After 3 -4 months they reach adult hood and the females will look fat or slightly less fat(almost can't tell), depending if she sprayed her eggs.

Yes on the frog, but the parent danios will eat %99 of the eggs them self.

If your trying to breed them you need to put them in a tank by themselves (male/female). Line the tank floor with Marbles and take the parent fish out after several days. It also helps to put your water temp raise your water temp to slightly to 81f - 82f in the mornings.

Last edited:

tatty_kassy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hmmm.....Interesting. I guess I will stop waiting for her to go back to normal size then, I guess I was just concerned that somehow the eggs didn't get out and now they were stuck inside. That sounds silly now. lol

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom