Pregnant Cray And Curious

Discussion in 'Crayfish - Crawfish' started by TerryCat, Apr 21, 2017.

1. TerryCatValued MemberMember

Hi guys, so I have a red Marlborough cray. She must have been pregnant when I bough her a few months ago because she's along in her tank.

I was just wondering, is it normal for her fry to detach from the tail in batches? I came home today and there was a bunch of dead fry on the floor of the tank and only one live one. She still has a ton of fry under her tail but they don't appear to be moving. Is this normal? I scooped up the one baby after it was ejected by the momma from the nest and put it in a breeder mesh basket with some moss and food... I'm hoping it survives and that it's not going to be the only one. I've been so excited about this unexpected pregnancy.

2. Tyler FishmanValued MemberMember

Could have been multiple factore why the larva died: PH (though crayfish are very tolerant to PH) Ammonia, nitrate,nitride or it just could have just failed, it happens young don't always survive. That's why they have so many babies Anyway

3. TerryCatValued MemberMember

:( will she rid herself of the left overs? I keep my tank clean. Ammonia and and nitrite are always 0. Nitrates stay between 10-20. I'll have to recheck pH when I get home but gH is usually kept in range for invertebrates as well.

So there's no way the others will hatch? If they were alive still they'd probably be moving right? It seems so morbid that she's walking around with her children's bodies still attached to her :p

4. TerryCatValued MemberMember

Ok so I also just checked the pH which is a little high at 8.2... any recommendations on natural ways to lower it? the other levels are all in range. Also, this morning a new baby has been born and the other ones don't appear to be rotting... maybe she's just taking longer since it's her first time

5. TerryCatValued MemberMember

Update: there are now at least 15 babies bouncing around the tank... looks like there might be 15 more under her tail!! ANy ideas about the ph?

6. clk89Fishlore VIPMember

Your PH is most likely fine, it's best to have a stable PH then to try and change it. Really only wild caught and super sensitive fish such as discus need more of a specific PH. Basically I don't think it was your PH that killed the babies. Sometimes the babies simply die to, like Tyler said up there not all babies survive.

7. TerryCatValued MemberMember

THanks, that's really comforting because I don't want to introduce chemical S to the tank. It ended being that I confused them hatching with when they were leaving the mother. Turns out there's about 30 survivors so I have more than I know what to do with... so much cuteness though

8. TerryCatValued MemberMember

*update* came home today to 29 crayfish babies swimming around the tank and a proud mamma cray. Should I remove her or leave her in there?