Pregnant Convict?

Friends.NotFood.

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
ok so I have two female convicts and I recently just added a male maybe 4 days ago. I was checkin my tank out a few minutes ago and the larger of the 2 females is brightly colored and her stomach is fat and round. The other female is a bit dull looking and the male is BLACK!!! Does it mean we’re expecting? Lol

NavyChief20

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
so with all cichlids the colors become very vibrant around spawning time and they become vibrant when the water chemistry is right.

How old are they? Do you see orange stripes on the females?

Friends.NotFood.

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
NavyChief20 said:
so with all cichlids the colors become very vibrant around spawning time and they become vibrant when the water chemistry is right.

How old are they? Do you see orange stripes on the females?
There’s orange on both females. The larger is really coloring up though. And a big ol’ fat belly

And age wise, I’d guess still pretty young. I got the females in March and they were about an inch each. Now they’re both 2 inches plus. And the male I just got. He’s pushing 2 inches hisself

NavyChief20

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
well,
sounds like you could be a few days away from a bunch of fry. Convicts like most cichlids are good parents so you dont need to isolate them unless you want to.

Friends.NotFood.

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
NavyChief20 said:
well,
sounds like you could be a few days away from a bunch of fry. Convicts like most cichlids are good parents so you dont need to isolate them unless you want to.
I agree. Thanks

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
They don't get pregnant as they fertilize eggs externally, but she is likely full of eggs.

Do you have a plan for the fry? They breed like rabbits, and many stores won't take them because they are so common.

Friends.NotFood.

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
TexasDomer said:
They don't get pregnant as they fertilize eggs externally, but she is likely full of eggs.

Do you have a plan for the fry? They breed like rabbits, and many stores won't take them because they are so common.
I don’t have a plan for the fry yet but I guess I better figure it out soon lol

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
If there isn't anything you can do with the fry, I'd remove the eggs when they're laid and then rehome the male again.

NavyChief20

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Friends.NotFood. said:
I don’t have a plan for the fry yet but I guess I better figure it out soon lol
These fry are a week old in my sons 55 gallon convict tank.
20180428_140504.jpg

Friends.NotFood.

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Well I’m almost positive my convicts are mating now. I can’t prove it but my Lutino Oscar was beaten so bad last night that he’s dead this morning and I’m pretty sure it was them. The only other suspect is my jack Dempsey but I’m leaning towards the convicts

NavyChief20

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Dude...you have a Jack in with your convicts? I'm not saying separate them but you really should separate them.

Friends.NotFood.

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
NavyChief20 said:
Dude...you have a Jack in with your convicts? I'm not saying separate them but you really should separate them.
That’s actually gonna be today’s project

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Yeah, if the convicts are breeding, they should be alone unless your tank is huge. Take the JD out too.

Friends.NotFood.

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
TexasDomer said:
Yeah, if the convicts are breeding, they should be alone unless your tank is huge. Take the JD out too.
I’ve already put the convicts in a new tank. ALONE!!! Lol but yeah they can get pretty mean

Friends.NotFood.

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I recently Just had to remove two female convicts and one male convict from my tank because I believe they killed my Oscar. Now they have a tank to themselves just the 3 of them BUT I noticed that one female hides at the top of the tank behind the filter. The other female and the male pretty much stay in the flower pot together but I see no eggs or fry yet so does it mean they’ve paired and I should remove the other female from the tank?

NavyChief20

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes, move her out it will be safer. I recently had to do the same thing with my sons tank. Mated pair and another female who hid in the corner by the weir. About 2 days later boom fry.

Friends.NotFood.

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
NavyChief20 said:
Yes, move her out it will be safer. I recently had to do the same thing with my sons tank. Mated pair and another female who hid in the corner by the weir. About 2 days later boom fry.
Consider it done ✅

NavyChief20

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Go to walmart and get an el cheapo electric coffee bean grinder. Then toss flake and pellets in there (hikari gold is one of the ones i use) grind that up to a good powdery crunch. Your fry will go nuts and mom n dad will like it too.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom