Pregnant Cherry Shrimp And Filters??

AQUARIUS1618

Valued Member
Reaction score
I have 3 red cherry shrimp and 1 orange cherry shrimp. The petco lady said they were the same just different colors. 1 is pregnant and I'm worried my filter will suck up the babies. I have a tetra wisper i10 . What would be a better filter for my 10 gallon tank??

LeticiaM

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hello!! Welcome!!
I have cherry rilI shrimp in a 5.5 gallon tank, with the same filter...you can put the closed toe part of pantyhose over the bottom of the filter covering the intake. Does that make sense? Then they can’t get sucked in.
The other alternative is to get a sponge filter, run by an air pump. I also have one of those in my tank as well
Good luck! It’s so fun when you start to see shrimplets!!

AQUARIUS1618

Valued Member
Reaction score
LeticiaM said:
Hello!! Welcome!!
I have cherry rilI shrimp in a 5.5 gallon tank, with the same filter...you can put the closed toe part of pantyhose over the bottom of the filter covering the intake. Does that make sense? Then they can’t get sucked in.
The other alternative is to get a sponge filter, run by an air pump. I also have one of those in my tank as well
Good luck! It’s so fun when you start to see shrimplets!![/QUOTE
Thank you !! And what would be the best way to secure the pantyhose to the filter??

LeticiaM

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Since it’s the toe part, it’s pretty narrow and I find it stays up on it’s own

AQUARIUS1618

Valued Member
Reaction score
LeticiaM said:
Since it’s the toe part, it’s pretty narrow and I find it stays up on it’s own
Awesome I'll give it a try. Thank you

LeticiaM

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
You are welcome! Good luck!

LeticiaM

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
AQUARIUS1618 ...I just have an update to my suggestion. Lately a few shrimp, of all sizes, have been making it into the internal compartment of my filter...the area with the media...even with the pantyhose covering the intake. The have all been alive, except for one. The death prompted me to modify the filter.

I have added filter floss to the intake compartment. I have been checking the open area of the filter daily...no shrimp! Until today...argh. One super small shrimplet, 3 mm or so, and a larger one, 10mm long. Both alive, but I am stumped. I am not sure how they are still getting in.

Maybe your better bet is a sponge filter?? I am sorry I can’t be more help, but I wanted to let you know my modification didn’t prove to be as effective as I thought...even though it had worked for months! Figures!

AQUARIUS1618

Valued Member
Reaction score
LeticiaM said:
AQUARIUS1618 ...I just have an update to my suggestion. Lately a few shrimp, of all sizes, have been making it into the internal compartment of my filter...the area with the media...even with the pantyhose covering the intake. The have all been alive, except for one. The death prompted me to modify the filter.

I have added filter floss to the intake compartment. I have been checking the open area of the filter daily...no shrimp! Until today...argh. One super small shrimplet, 3 mm or so, and a larger one, 10mm long. Both alive, but I am stumped. I am not sure how they are still getting in.

Maybe your better bet is a sponge filter?? I am sorry I can’t be more help, but I wanted to let you know my modification didn’t prove to be as effective as I thought...even though it had worked for months! Figures!
Thank you. Yea I was afraid they would get in there some how so I went and got a hob filter and pre sponge thing (I'm sorry I'm bad with names) the shrimp like hanging out near it. I I haven't noticed any shrimp in the filter so far and hope it stays like that.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads