Pregnant Black Ruby Barbs, Will Carps Eat The Eggs?

Diana Eriksson

Hi!
As the title says, a couple of my black ruby barbs have been getting plump and they have dark red spots behind their fins, and the males in the aquarium have become dark red, so I'm pretty sure the females are pregnant.

What do I do now? I know that I have to keep the females and males together in the aquarium for the fry until they are fertilized, but how do I know when to remove them again?

Also at the moment I don't actually have a fry-aquarium, and in the one I planned to use I am currently keeping two albino carpfish that I have been trying to get babies from too.
Can I still use that aquarium for breeding the barbs or would the carp just eat the eggs?

Demeter

Barbs are egg scatterers, they cannot be pregnant as that involves internal fertilization. They are simply full of eggs ready to be laid and fertilizered. The male will chase the female around and they will both release their goods at the same time. The fertilized eggs will scatter and go all over the tank, very hard to remove them so better to place the adults in a spawn tank then remove them after the deed is done.

I suggest looking up more info on the breeding setup and process for barb species. Hope you have some tiny live foods for any fry produced. Many egg layer fry won’t eat crush flakes but prefer live micro worms, baby brine shrimp, and infusoria.

All eggs are fair game to all fish. I’ve no clue what a “carpfish” is but I’m sure they’ll eat the eggs too.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Dexter84
  • Barbs
Replies
Views
Iverg1
  • picklelover21
  • Barbs
Replies
Views
Aquarist
  • croaker