Pregnant Betta??? Question

1. pvnking Initiate Member

So I have a community tank which happens to have a male betta and about a month 1/2 ago I added a female baby betta that I got from a petstore. My bettas are both non aggressive and both grew up in a community tank and have never harmed each other or another fish so that's not a problem. Anywayyy, I was gone for a few weeks and when I came back I noticed that not only had my female baby grown quite a bit, it looks like she's pregnant too??? I believe she even has a white dot under her which means eggs?? I just wanted some opinions on what you guys thought, and if she is, maybe some advice on what to do. I've bred quite a few live bearers before but I've never bred fish that lay eggs and any advice would be great! Thanks!
    7905009e91852ffb59089099a14c2385.jpg

961fe2a012996d2e3325a71433b8c90a.jpg

87eac5e15516bfd9ba6d66eab3e906bc.jpg

0a674acf18857937352bd9f79930079f.jpg

eb6ebed1f44acb04165d45cab177a5a4.jpg

1d8e96f0c969fc69096a04a6e2220b80.jpg

2. BeanFish Well Known Member Member

Bettas dont get pregnant. They do however become full of eggs. I have no experience with bettas but maybe someone like @Katie13 which has bred some before could help you.

3. clk89 Fishlore VIP Member

Well for one breeding bettas is more complex then breeding livebearers. You don't just put a female and male together in a community tank, even if they are not aggressive to other fish they may cause stress to each other. Read these links if you truly want to breed bettas responsibly:

So you want to breed bettas: Responsible Breeding

Step by Step guide to breeding Bettas

It also does not look like your female has eggs, but it looks like very bad bloat and perhaps dropsy. Dropsy is a symptom of many different things. The white part you are seeing isn't an indication of having eggs either as far as I know. Little more information on your tank please.

What are your parameters (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, ph)?
    What is the tank size?
    What are all of the tankmates in this tank?
    How does her poop look like?
    Did you quarentine the female before adding to main tank?
    Can you get a picture of the female from the top? (to rule out dropsy)

If it was me I would separate the female from the male and put the female in a quarantine/hospital tank.

4. Shadow2331 Member Member

The last picture sure looks like it is a dropsy but the picture is nit that clear so iam not sure about it :eek:

5. Princethepurplebetta Member Member

I would move one of the bettas to a seperate tank. Its not a good idea to keep males and females together unless you want to breed and can handle seperating 200+ fry.