Pregnant Balloon Molly Or Fat Fish?

Discussion in 'Molly' started by Jahnelle, Jun 7, 2019.

1. Jahnelle

JahnelleNew MemberMember

Lfs said it was a sterile male. We brought it and another home. It got fat, and looks to my very inexperienced eyes like a very pregnant female three weeks later. If he is a she as i suspect, can anyone tell me how long we have? 15599561404203585211341453904285.jpg

2. Lypress

LypressValued MemberMember

Looks like balloon molly to me. It looks too short to be a regular molly. Cute fish :)

3. Lypress

Oops I read it wrong. Did you just buy her? She looks pregnant I think but it’s a small picture and my eyesight has gotten bad recently so pretty blurry.

4. ShamFish97

ShamFish97Valued MemberMember

Need a better picture. LFS' are notorious for selling mollies incorrectly. I've asked for females, and gotten males. They simply net one, and put it in the bag. They make it seem like they grabbed whichever one you asked for, but you have to be sure by looking up close and doing your research. I always look into the fish i want before getting them, so I can discern things like sex and what kind of tank requirements they have.

If you have a female, they can drop fry at any time really, if your water is cycled and theres hiding places. All they need is to be fertilized even once, which will commonly happen at your LFS unless they separate the sexes, they can drop fry any time for up to 6 months. Their gestation period is on average monthly, and they can drop anywhere from 5-100 fry depending on age and health.

If you don't want to set up a seperate tank to raise molly fry, I'd suggest returning and getting a male IF it is a female that you have.

5. OP
    OP
    Jahnelle

JahnelleNew MemberMember

Hope these images are better! I bought her about 3 weeks ago with another (definitely) male. She got fat, he didn't. Well, not fattER lol. They look pretty chunky as it is.

In the second picture i caught her with the bottom fins swept back like a male's, but its actually round, as you can slightly see in the first picture.

Attached Files:

6. Lypress

Males are pretty obvious with the gonopodium that hangs under the fish instead of the normal looking fins that most fish have. Once fertilized she can give birth more than once from one mating. Does the fish have fins or the male organ underneath and if it’s a female does she have a gravity spot? (Dark triangular spot behind the belly on the underside). If she’s pregnant I wouldn’t return her. If the fry aren’t wanted the fish will eat them anyway and is great for their diet. I have both swordtails and guppies. Only the oldest female swordtail is one I bought. The rest are offspring. 5 of the 6 swordtails are from the original “Ruby”, even my guppies came from fish that died a year ago. I purposely raised them but any I didn’t raise got eaten.

7. Lypress

I think it’s a pregnant female. I can’t see a gravid spot but the belly looks squareish from the picture.

8. Lypress

Their gestational period is pretty short I wouldn’t be surprised if she gives birth in the next week or two. I have noticed with mine if the water is warmer they seem to have shorter gestational periods. Did you want fry?

9. ShamFish97

My mollies have dropped fry 3 times over the past 2 months, each time it differed. The first drop was around 6-10, the second drop was around 10-20, and the third was 5-10. It all depends really, and they can survive surprisingly long without you knowing they exist in a well planted/decorated tank. Check out my aquarium journal in my signature to see my mollies and I'm always willing to answer any questions you may have. :)

10. OP
    OP
    Jahnelle

JahnelleNew MemberMember

Lol not especially. I actually bought her and the other molly, as well as six other fish, and accidentally overstocked my tank because i have a pregnant guppy and wanted fish to keep the guppy population down. Told the LFS i was a new owner of an inherited tank and he just nodded and said, basically, buy all the fish you want!

11. Lypress

Was it Petsmart?

12. emeraldking

emeraldkingWell Known MemberMember

It's a female balloon molly for sure. No question about that...
    It's always hard to tell wether a balloon molly is pregnant or not. And let's be honest, not all female ballloon mollies show a gravid spot.

13. Atomicfish

AtomicfishValued MemberMember

Balloon mollies are naturally made to look fat hence the name.

14. ShamFish97

no way that’s so cool!!