Pregnant Angelfish

nerite0479

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hi everybody,I have an angelfish that I'm pretty sure is pregnant.My fish's stomaches are sort of bloated after I feed them and today BEFORE I feed them one of my angelfish's stomaches was really bloated.I then assumed the angelfish was pregnant because it has been before.Every time it lays the eggs,they are eaten.So here are my questions: Do you think my angelfish is pregnant?If so,what can I do to protect the eggs?

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If you could post a photo, I'm sure some of our Angel experts will be able to help.

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'm not sure if the correct term is 'pregnant' because they lay eggs periodically when everything is good with them. From what I've read, the female will lay eggs on a flat surface like a rock or piece of slate and then the male will fertilize them. There is a really great video that walks through the whole process

I don't know what you would do to keep the eggs from being eaten, apart from putting a divider in the tank and separating the other fish from the parents, or removing the other fish completely. It might be too complicated to try to move the eggs and the parents to another tank.

nerite0479

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Ok thanks.Sometimes the parents eat the eggs.That usually happens after the other fish have startd to eat them.Is that normal?I have an amazon sword that they have layed eggs on before.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Excellent Video Jetajockey! Lots of good information.

Angelfish97 when other fish stress angels then the angels will eat their eggs or fry. Just about the only way to get fry is to move the pair into a tank of their own or move the eggs and artificially hatch them after their laid.

If you think you angel is not full of eggs then it may be constipated. You can fast them for a day (most fish need one no feed day a week anyway) then off them little bits of green pea. Mine love this treat and eat it willingly but did have to figure out it was food before eating it well. keep us posted please.
Carol

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom