Pregnant and very very fat

Discussion in 'Molly' started by Lady Monster, Jun 28, 2016.

1. Lady Monster

Lady MonsterWell Known MemberMember

I had suspected she was pregnant but ive had her for over a month and no fry yet. Well today she looks huge and now has mucus like trail? Ive read conflicting info that its usually parasites. But im also reading that live bearers release this before they give birth.

If anyone can confirm that its part of labor i would feel better. No other fish in tank appear effected. If she is starting labor i need to get her in the fry box!

2. OP
    OP
    Lady Monster

image this is fish with the mucus trail

image this is other suspected pregnant fish. She is a little larger than the other.

I have no males so they were pregnant from the lfs and ive read they can hold on to sperm for a few pregnancies.

EDIT: they all 3 have the mucusy poop. Where would parasites come from? I did recently add moss balls to the tank from petco. I rinsed them before i added them. My betta got a moss ball from the same container but iver never seen him poop. What is my next step to resolve this?

Just 1 more thing to add to my list of things that happened to my aquariums this week

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2018
  3. SnarkyXTS

SnarkyXTSValued MemberMember

Top pic Molly looks close to dropping fry, she's boxy in shape which leads me to think she'll have her babies very soon.
    Bottom pic Molly looks pregnant too or really bloated... But most likely pregnant since most mollies from lfs are pregnant bcuz they don't usually separate genders.

4. OP
    OP
    Lady Monster

I was starting to think they were just bloated, hopefully i figure something out soon.

I edited my last comment, if you have any idea about parasites...

5. SnarkyXTS

Is her poop clearish & stringy? If so she could have parasites too while she's pregnant & ready to pop. If she's acting normal I would try to feed her some garlic soaked food. I actually feed my pregnant livebearers seachem's flakes that are dosed with garlic & other good antibiotics. They love them too. If she's acting strange & flashes around then you could QT & dose prazipro. It's a great product imho. I've used it along w/paraguard when my fish displays parasite symptoms. But since she's boxy I'd prefer treating after birth.

6. OP
    OP
    Lady Monster

How do i do that? Just soak some pellets in garlic? I have some in a jar in the fridge if thats the case. Could i feed them actual minced garlic? They will try to eat just about anything that drops in the water. How does this work?

No unusual behavior.

And there is a slight chance the unusual poop is a result of them eating shrimp pellets but it does appear mucusy and clearish.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2016
  7. SnarkyXTS

Yes u can just soak them in garlic juice & then feed her the pellets. I've never put actual minced garlic, that would probably mess up the water in the tank. Lol.
    Maybe it's the shrimp pellets? Try feeding her something else & see if her poop is different. But clearish, stringy poop does usually indicate parasite.

8. TwoTonedTanker

TwoTonedTankerValued MemberMember

Looks pregnant to me!

9. OP
    OP
    Lady Monster

Still no fry yet

10. SnarkyXTS

How are they behaving? Any aggression or hanging out by the heater or wanting to hide or be alone? I always notice my pregnant mollies get nippy when ready to drop fry. They also tend to hang by the heater & away from others. Hopefully you have enough plants/moss for the fry to hide in. Keep us posted! Love seeing/hearing when fry get born

11. OP
    OP
    Lady Monster

image all 3 are hanging by the heater. They nip during feedings. Usually when i noticed 1 having alone its because they are pooping behind the house bubbler :/ I've had them since May 25th.

12. TwoTonedTanker

TwoTonedTankerValued MemberMember

Seems like their gonna drop fry soon!

Good luck!

This pic should remove most worries!

My dog on her B~Day!

Keep us posted!

13. OP
    OP
    Lady Monster

Omg look at that cutie! I made my cats a tuna cake for their bday lol.

14. SnarkyXTS

Top one in pic looks the most boxy... I hope you have space for all the fry that survive since u have 3 mamas about to pop. They all look super big. My last batch of fry from my medium sized black Molly dropped 42 fry! Good luck

15. OP
    OP
    Lady Monster

I do have a 55 gallon that I'm moving these fish to soon

16. OP
    OP
    Lady Monster

And we have fry!!! About 10 so far.

17. SnarkyXTS

Yay!!! Hope she gets through it ok! Keep us posted w/pics!

18. OP
    OP
    Lady Monster

I can't even tell which one had babies, both are still fat.

19. OP
    OP
    Lady Monster

imageimageimage

There are 9 total. My breeder net is actually a temp home to my 3 rcs and when i went to check on them last night is when i saw the fry. I considered catching the fry but i can't raise them because i don't have the 55 gallon set up. They seem to be too quick for the adults to eat them. And they are using the small space between the glass and the net as protection.

20. SnarkyXTS

Awe! So cute and smart of them. Lol. U could put them in w/the RCS, I don't think they eat them like whisker or ghost shrimp do. Maybe ask in the shrimp forum just in case. So happy for u & mama Molly, whichever one it may be. Lol

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice