Pregnant Amano and the Magic Fishbowl.

Discussion in 'Shrimps and Crabs' started by OldeOne, Jul 18, 2015.

1. OldeOne

OldeOne Well Known Member Member

Well, hello! It's been a while. How about an update before I post my issue?

Things have settled in the wild land of post-Walmart fish-trauma. Stable tanks are a lovely thing, aren't they? There's almost 0 upkeep, aside from the weekly cleaning. I have a side project going: a 1 gallon classic glass fishbowl sits in my window with the extra water plants that simply won't do in my beautiful 10 gallon setup. It also gets weekly water changes and constant testing because of its one resident: a tiny Amano shrimp that has more or less confounded me for two months now. (It showed signs of having a bacterial infection amidst heavy shrimp losses, and was given the opportunity to live out its last days in the plant bowl. Instead of dying peacefully, it has lived in there happily for two months, feasting on the algae. I should mention I keep the bowl in a window, so that it gets sunlight for about an hour. Plenty of food! TWO MONTHS, though. I'm loathed to move him. The day I moved him, I had no more losses in the main tank.)

That is neither here nor there, because I have an issue in my main tank. Issue. Blessing. Cause of stress for me. After my heavy shrimp losses had ceased, I was left with only two Amano shrimp. I might add that They are the single most beautiful and perfect specimens of a male and female that you ever did see. They are simply amazing. Apparently, they must think the same of themselves, because I caught them boinking the other day. And, as is so often the case with unprotected shrimp sex, it has resulted in a PREGNANCY.

My now massive Amano is lugging around the largest amount of eggs I've ever seen a shrimp carry in my life. If she were simply a ghost shrimp, I would have no trouble accommodating the babies. I mean, shoot. I have an established fish bowl system going. I am confident now that I could get another going with little trouble. HOWEVERRRRRRRRR, Amano larvae need to be transferred to salt water within 8 days of hatching, or so I've read.

Salt water. Ocean water. Nooooooo! I am quite comfortable with fresh water. I can do fresh water in my sleep. I close my eyes and see the entire process beautifully outlined before me, blessed by hovering choirs of angelfish. (heheh)

Salt water. Salt water kills my plants. I know nothing about salt water, and all I've read points to permanent setups. I have not the room for a large tank, nor the money to invest. However, I stare sadly at my beautiful female Amano every day and wish I could save her soon-to-be-hatched offspring. The poor little things are doomed if I cannot figure out how to set up a temporary 1-gallon larvae tank. There is no way I can use skimmers because of the danger to the babies.

..if such a thing is even possible.

2. Livielupop

Livielupop Valued Member Member

I do not think that you would have to put them in saltwater at all they just grow up in freshwater I believe like the adults but I'm not expert on shrimp:D

3. EricV

EricV Fishlore VIP Member

No Amano larvae have to transition to brackish water within a few days of hatching or they die. They transition back to freshwater once they're beyond the larval stage.

4. Livielupop

Livielupop Valued Member Member

Oh haha yeah I figured that out I was thinking about another kind whoops;D

5. OP
    OP
    OldeOne

OldeOne Well Known Member Member

It is a shame that the situation behind their birth must be so incredibly complex. Sadly, I think they may end up as an impromptu treat for mister tetra. From what I've read, salt water is difficult and expensive to set up, even small-scale.

6. kidster9700

kidster9700 Well Known Member Member

Brackish and saltwater are different. Setting up a small brackish tank for the larvae shouldn't be all that difficult.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice