Pregnancy vs. Dropsy???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shamy

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
My female betta is looking extremely bloated today. A couple days ago she laid eggs (without a male) so I'm not sure if she's just pregnant again. If I look at her from the top, only the scales that are around her bloated belly are slightly raised, and the rest of the body's scales are laying flat. She has laid eggs several times before, and she did not look as bloated as she does now... I wish I could take a picture but she won't hold still long enough T_T

I'm afraid it could be dropsy and I'm just misdiagnosing her... Would it be safe to treat her for dropsy even if she doesn't have it, just in case?

Sharkdude

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Sounds like drops to me, I lost a whole tank of barbs to it. Start treatment ASAP to raise your chance of success, I recommend Macryn 2.

Shamy

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I started a Maracyn Two treatment... Now it's definitely looking like dropsy >< but besides looking really bloated she is still her cheery self and eating well so I'm sure she'll get better soon

andrearamirezo91

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Some people recommend epsom salt to help with the swelling, but it's really up to you since there are very controversial opinions about using salt on fresh water fish

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom