10 Gallon Tank Preggy female guppy died

samratsu

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
One of my tanks is a 9 gallon fully recycled fresh water. 5 teaspoon of salt was added. I have 2 balloon mollies (silver white and 1 with black polka dots), 2 red platies, 1 fancy tail guppy, 1 red tail guppy, 1 pleco. I had a female guppy for more than a month. 3-4 days back I noticed a black gravid spot near the analfin. I thought she was preggy. 2 days back I introduced the 2 red platies. I was shocked to see that the female guppy immediately attacked the platies. The chasing went on for 5mins and just as I thought of taking the platies out, I saw the female guppy calming down...mostly 'coz the male guppies settled back with the female. Next day morning, I found my female guppy dead...with her mouth open!! What did I do wrong?! I feel terrible. Also, is there a male/female ratio that should be adhered to while keeping guppies? Can fancy tail male guppy mate with normal female guppy?

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning Samratsu and Welcome to Fish Lore. So sorry for your loss.

First I would recommend that you stop using salt in your fresh water aquarium. Using salt is kind of old school and really isn't necessary. Salt causes an excess of body slime on the fish which can lead to stress and other issues.

I suggest doing a 50% water change to remove some of the salt that you've just added.

The ratio I've seen most for live bearers is 1 male to 3 females. To my knowledge your Fancy Tails can mate with the normal guppies and they can also mate with Endlers.

I don't recommend that you add any more fish to your 9g tank. I'm afraid that the Pleco you have now is going to need more room too. They are huge waste producers.

Best wishes and I hope you enjoy the site.

KEn

hyun007

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Aquarist, don't you think a little salt is necessary for the mollies?
I do not think salt is harmful to the guppies as they can live in seawater!!!

Although I am 5 teaspoon is abit too much for my liking, I usually give just a pinch.

Last edited:

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
salted water and marine conditions are very different, but apart from that, guppies adapt really well because they are hardy fish, that doesn't mean it's necessarily good for them, and using salt just complicates things if you have or plan to have any scaleless fish in the tank.

There is much controversy as to the purpose and effectiveness of aquarium salt, and my opinion is that it's not necessary on a normal day to day basis,

Keeping good water parameters, routine maintenance and proper quarantine procedures on new arrivals does FAR more than salt ever will.

samratsu

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Okay, with the weekend on, I should get time to check the parameters and do the water change. But, any idea why the female molly went after red platies, she just went berserk! I noticed the male guppies leaving the female and getting cozy with the platies and it is then, the female guppy let it all out!

hyun007

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
salted water and marine conditions are very different, but apart from that, guppies adapt really well because they are hardy fish, that doesn't mean it's necessarily good for them, and using salt just complicates things if you have or plan to have any scaleless fish in the tank.

There is much controversy as to the purpose and effectiveness of aquarium salt, and my opinion is that it's not necessary on a normal day to day basis,

Keeping good water parameters, routine maintenance and proper quarantine procedures on new arrivals does FAR more than salt ever will.
I only give them a pinch and not on a normal day to day basis. (only for mollies)
Maybe once a week or once in 2 weeks.
I had read many times that mollies need a little salt(definitely not 5 teaspoons!) in their tank.

Last edited:

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

If you are using salt in fresh water tanks, then I suggest that you also have a hydrometer to measure the amount of salt. Remember salt does not dissipate. It continues to build over time the more you add. Too, the amount of salt is not reduced simply by topping off the water. In order for salt to be removed a water change has to be done and new water added.

In other words, don't add salt unless you are doing a water change or it will just continue to build.

If the Molly's were born and raised in tanks with salt, then using it may be something you want to consider but not something that I normally recommend.

Ken

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom