Preggers?

WiccaFish

Is my tiger pregnant? And how can you tell a male from a female?

Demeter

Egg laying species do not become pregnant. Their eggs are fertilized by the male shortly after they are laid. To tell genders apart you look at body shape and coloration. Males are slimmer and have darker colors while females are more plump and drab in color. Google for more info, seriouslyfish.com is a good website for species profile.

That barb looks quite plump, perhaps too plump for a gravid (full of eggs) female. It is possible the barb is egg bound, this is something we can’t really do much about. You can try fasting the tank for a few days and see if it slims down, otherwise keep a close eye on it and make sure behavior stays normal.

WiccaFish

I meant full of eggs when I say preggers, sorry about the misunderstanding.
The barbs just recently started going a bit nutty in the tank. A lot of chasing and I've noticed one in particular is chasing the others away from the fatter one and then chasing her.

WiccaFish

Well, I'm guessing she had a belly full of eggs. After yesterdays song and dance they were all doing, I came home from work today to find her belly as slim like the others

Betta'sAnonymous

Find any signs of the eggs in the tank? Don't doubt tiger barbs will eat them sometimes too like other species.

WiccaFish

What would I even look for? Are they large enough to see? Do they scatter them or release them in one spot? I wish I could have seperated the two before she dropped her eggs. It would have been fun trying to raise some babies

Betta'sAnonymous

WiccaFish said:
What would I even look for? Are they large enough to see? Do they scatter them or release them in one spot? I wish I could have seperated the two before she dropped her eggs. It would have been fun trying to raise some babies
I'm not sure with tiger barbs. Often fish do use leaves or like a flat rock or something to lay eggs. Really wouldn't be surprised if they got ate right away. I know they are fry eating machines though.

Demeter

Barbs are egg scatterers. If you really want to raise some then gravel vac the substrate and save the gunk and water. Add a heater and gentle air stone to the bucket and wait. Eggs should hatch within a few days if they are anything like danios and rasboras. Add live plants and/or leaf litter to provide infusoria, then feed the fry boil egg yolk, micro worms, paramecium etc. You should research more proper rearing methods online if you want to raise a number of them.

WiccaFish

From my research it seems the female can go through this process every couple of weeks (poor girl ).
I'll set up a second tank for the next batch.

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom