Pregant or Sick???

chipster55

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
One of my Rasboras has blown up like a balloon. I moved it to my Q Tank and it seemed to swim OK. How big do there bellies get when pregnant? She (or he) has been this way for about 3 days now. When it is at rest it is on a 30 degree angle head down which is the way the rest of them rest. I Have attached a couple picks (sorry they are blurry) but I was hoping this would give you an idea of what I'm talking about..Also How do you tell males from females?? Thanks in advance

Neville

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
well, i think they r pregnant. males r thin and more colorful, females r bigger and thicker.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
If your rasbora is swimming fine, then it does sound like she's pregnant.. she'll need a good place for the eggs, like a broad leaved plant.

chipster55

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
OK Thanks much Happy Easter

loubie

Reaction score
I am actually having the same thing. My female rasbora was mating the other day and rubbing herself over the leafs but I haven't seen any eggs and she is still fat. She is acting normal though, swimming OK, doesn't eat that much anyway, so I am hoping she is still holding eggs and not ill.

chipster55

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Well I moved the fish to a Q tank to watch it..It is actually a Serpae Tetra. Its right side blew up like a bubble (I could have popped it with a needle, really thin skin). Well it stayed like this for 2 days and when I checked on it after work, the bubble was gone but skin still looks a little rough. Has anyone seen or heard of this before. I haven't seen any fry or eggs.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I haven't had any tetras myself, but won't the mother eat the eggs?

Luniyn

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Yeah, tetras will eat the eggs. I read one story where a guy was watching the tetras spawn some eggs only to eat them right away. They would pause in their eating to drop a few more eggs and then get back to eating.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
sounds like a tetra might be a fish that could use a well-designed breeder box.. one of the good ones with air bubbles in it & all.. would that be too much stress for a tetra or is that the best way to have the tetra when she's ready to lay her eggs?

Luniyn

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Depends on the tetra. Some of them are very hardy and could take pretty much anything you throw at them. Others like the neon don't. I don't have any plans on actually breading my tetras, so I've only looked into the how-to's briefly. But yes from what I have seen, if you really want to have a good chance at getting some fry, you actually have to work at it a bit.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Luniyn said:
Depends on the tetra. Some of them are very hardy and could take pretty much anything you throw at them. Others like the neon don't. I don't have any plans on actually breading my tetras, so I've only looked into the how-to's briefly. But yes from what I have seen, if you really want to have a good chance at getting some fry, you actually have to work at it a bit.
I'll keep that in mind for when we get a tetra tank.. our MTS is getting worse & i think eventually we'll have tanks with about every variety we can. we need to not go look at the fish for a bit or get shots or something.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom