Prefilter Sponge For Penguin 330 Question

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by pugletfan, Apr 19, 2018.

1. p

pugletfan Well Known Member Member

I have an older model Marineland Penguin 330 hob filter. I want to protect it from sand when I switch to sand from gravel. I was looking for a prefilter sponge but am having trouble finding one to fit. The intake is a square-ish shaped thing, approximately 2 inches wide, 1 inch deep, 2 inches high. Any ideas?

2. FishFish221

FishFish221 Well Known Member Member

Maybe you can cut a hole into an aquaclear 50 or 70 replacement filter sponge insert, and the secure it to the filter intake using a rubber band.

3. OP
    OP
    p

Great idea! Thanks!

4. Fashooga

Fashooga Fishlore VIP Member

I would use poly fil or a poly wool. With my penguin 350 I stuff the bottom housing with poly fil. That will pick up the fine particles of dust that the intake takes.

5. OP
    OP
    p

Hmmmm interesting! I do have polyfill added to my Penguin, added to the top. I'm try to understand where you think I should put the polyfill.

510f166749d73cbc429a91ec937e7268.jpg

I have added some polyfill at the top of my media baskets (biomedia underneath). I also added polyfill behind each filter cartridge, at the top. Should I have it placed somewhere else? I'm hoping to protect my filter from sand if possible.

My filter cartridges are pretty slimy and brown but I don't want to replace them and lose bb. Guess I could try to save the old cartridge media and stuff in in the filter behind a new cartridge, but not switching both at once.

6. Fashooga

Fashooga Fishlore VIP Member

They way I've been doing it is that since the filter (I have the same) has the water coming up from the bottom I would put the poly fil at the bottom and then put your media on top of that. This way the poly fil is the only one that gets really dirty while the rest is clean.

So I have poly fil -> Sponge -> media and water come out.

You can place your media where ever as long as the poly fil is at the bottom. This will get better results than putting it on the top where the debris get caught up on the media and slowing down the flow.

7. Swampgorilla

Swampgorilla Valued Member Member

Makes no sense to use polyfil as a pre-filter. A prefilter should only filter out the larger particles. Polyfil filters out small particles and that turns your actual filter into basically a pump and a bio filter ... if that's what you want, then it's fine. But you'll be cleaning that "prefilter" a lot because it's small and the entire volume of water the filter pumps will be going through that small prefilter - rather than being dispersed along the surface area of your filter.

And forget about "max turnover flow rate" - prefiltering comes at a cost. I'm not a big fan of the "gph rules", but many are - and a prefilter - especially a fine one, throws that calc off kilter.

Too fine of "prefilter" will also clog and bog your filter down - in some cases stop the flow altogether. If you have a largish bioload, you'll be pulling the prefilter out on a regular basis to clean it just to keep your filter running. I know this because I once tried it with a sponge that was too "fine" or "dense".

Mechanical filtration should work like this ... in the order that the water from the tank hits it ... COURSE Media, followed by MEDIUM course media, followed by FINE media (like poly fill). Your bio media should come AFTER all this and there should be no "polishing pad" at the end of the line - that simply backs up debris into your bio-media, and if you use porous media (which is the best) that debris clogs the pores. Let anything that escapes the mechanical filtration on the front end simply flow through the bio media and back to the tank. You probably will catch it the next time around.

The suggestion to use an AquaClear sponge cut to fit your intake, probably isn't a bad one, but I would recommend something even more course than that.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice