Funny Prefilter sponge and shrimp

Matt11711

Some people will find this funny, and some people will find this sad, personally I find it both. Here's my story of how I realized to always use a pre filter sponge with shrimp, with a happy ending!

I got a delivery of shrimp last Thursday, and I put them in 2 tanks. I had a pre filter sponge in the smaller tank, but there was only one at the store so I didn't do that for the larger tank, hoping that since it was 7 shrimp in a 20 gallon tank they would stay away from the intake, or that what I had read about only babies being sucked up was true. Well I watched them swim all around the tank and get very close to the filter without getting pulled in, so I figured I was fine.
The next day I only saw 2 or 3 of the 7, but figured they might be hiding. Saturday I still could only find 3, and they were the biggest ones, so I decided I would check again for a sponge at the store, and I got it installed that night. Today I had to get up early for work but as soon as I got home I figured I would take apart the filter and see if I could find any bodies, at least I would know what happened to them.
I got the media out and I thought I saw a dead body in the filter, but then I saw a live shrimp! I got him in the tank and was super surprised that he survived and got passed the impeller. Then I started rinsing out my sponge and found 2 more live shrimp in the bucket. And I found the last one stuck to the basket, also alive! My huge mistake somehow worked out and I had 4 shrimp living in my filter for 3 days, but they are safe now and enjoying the tank but I wanted to post this to make sure that no one tries a shrimp tank without a pre filter sponge, no matter the reason. Even if you see them swim right next to the intake with no problem they will still somehow end up inside it. Please don't endanger your shrimp like I did. I'm so relieved that they survived.

aquachris

Good to hear most made it!

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
mommameerkat
  • Question
Replies
Views
faydout