preferred euthanasia method

?

If you had to euthanize a sick fish, how would you do it and why?

1. Flush it

9.1%
  2. Chop its head off

9.1%
  3. Clove Oil

36.4%
  4. Vodka or other alcohol

5.5%
  5. Freeze it (put it in a cup and place in the freezer)

14.5%
  6. Quick Freeze--prechill water, stick fish in

12.7%
  7. Other (tell me and I'll add it, I think I'm forgetting something lol)

12.7%
  1. newbie101 Well Known Member Member

How do you euthanize a sick fish? Lots of different opinions on this one. If I forgot something (I think I did) tell me and I'll add it :)

2. chickadee Fishlore VIP Member

I chose the "clove oil" option. It was kind of a toss up between it and the alcohol option but the reason I ended up with the clove oil was I had heard from my vet friend that you don't have to use much and they just "go to sleep" so I thought this was perhaps like putting another animal to sleep. Not that I think I could do it unless I really thought they were suffering. I came close to wishing I could have with Azul, but then he would look better and I would think maybe he was recovering.

Rose
    :(

3. dano569 Member Member

i wrap them in a paper towel and stick them in the freezer. :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
    i only do that when it seems there is no hope of recovery.i give them as much of a chance as possible[i hope]

4. Parvath Initiate Member

Do u think dropping a slick fish into a lake or pond would help ??? would it recover cause it is back into more natural habitat?

5. newbie101 Well Known Member Member

No you should never do that!!!! Here is a good article on why not to, from freshaquarium.about.com

6. newbie101 Well Known Member Member

Some fish, including snakeheads have been banned from some states because someone dumped one in the waterways and it wreaked havoc: (this is from the same site)

7. Parvath Initiate Member

Thanks for the info Emma.

8. newbie101 Well Known Member Member

A slick fish lol ;)

9. Parvath Initiate Member

:D LOL... didnt realise I had typed "Slick" instead of "Sick"

10. newbie101 Well Known Member Member

And that is why Mike added a good ol' spellchecker.
    :D

11. Marc Well Known Member Member

But slick is a word... it's only a spell check, not a grammar check :)

12. newbie101 Well Known Member Member

Ah, you have me there ;)

13. sirdarksol Fishlore Legend Member

Anesthetic overdose.

I want to throw one note in here.

No arguing about euthanasia methods, please. We've closed one thread of that nature already, and don't need to do it again. If someone posts something particularly insensitive, please report it and the mods will take a look at it. However, if you just don't like a particular method (there are several of the methods that I would consider cruel, for example), let it be. No need to bring up more bad blood about this.

This does not apply to people asking questions, of course. If they genuinely want to know about something, like Parvath asking about releasing fish into the wild, it's entirely fine to answer.

14. rainman Well Known Member Member

i take the fish and put it in some club soda, so that the carbon dioxide knock's the fish out, then i freeze them.

15. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

I've never heard of this, is it humane? When you say 'knocks the fish out', do you mean like an anesthetic?

Where did you hear about this method?

16. Barbrella Well Known Member Member

17. luna Well Known Member Member

This does seem to be the most humane option...but I have a problem with it. The alcohol. My family does not drink and we do not allow alcohol in our house for any reason...so is there an alternative substance that would be suitable after using the clove oil to knock the fish out?

Ideally, I hope I never need to do this, but it would be nice to know ahead of time what my options are.

18. Peterpiper Well Known Member Member

We lost a lot when the tread was closed.. I take most of the blame, meanings can sometimes be distorted.. and the way something is said in the US, can be taken a different way in Australia, and vice verser. Guess I should have let it slide ( in hindsight ).
    Anyway if your looking for MS 222, this is the same stuff.. you can get it here

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=12271

sirdarksol,
    Maybe the Moderators could post the methods that they use, and the benifits in using the methods, and how the method used will end the suffering and not prolong it?

19. Chief_waterchanger Well Known Member Member

I know there are people that do not like this method because they say it forms ice crystals inside the fish that harms them... let me say, the fish is surely completely dead before their bodies get cold enough to freeze.

We put them in a bag, such as the plastic ones you get when you buy a fish at the store (we buy those things by the hundreds) and enough water for them to be completely covered. We put that bag in the freezer and then take it out a day later. The tropical fish aren't going to survive down to 32 degrees farenheit, so they aren't going to survive long enough to feel the freezing. The water in the bag has to cool down to the freezing point, and since water cools slower than air, they get a more gradual go to sleep kinda death.

It would be nice to have one thread of this topic survive with only mature discussion, lets make it happen. :) (Thank you, Pete, for taking responsibility for whatever part of the failure of discussion in the past that may have been your fault, that's good of you. :))

20. tan.b Well Known Member Member

i've always chickened out of euthansing. i really wish i had the guts to do it, as i've seen sick fish really poorly and i know they are going to die within hours, but i'm just too soft to be able to hurry along the inevitable. i think its because i'm scared i'll do it wrong and actually cause suffering if that makes sense? yet when i worked in a vets i had no problem with euthanasia, but i think thats because i trusted the method caused no suffering.