Preferred Equipment Vendors Since Dfs Is Gone

Discussion in 'Freshwater Tank Equipment' started by DCR, Jun 25, 2019.

1. DCR

DCRNew MemberMember

I'm upgrading my 20H to a 55 and recently noticed that Drs. Foster and Smith is now nothing more than Petco so I'm wondering what preferred vendors you are using for your equipment and supply needs? I need to add another Eheim canister filter along with lighting, substrate etc.

Thanks in advance

2. Tol

TolValued MemberMember

I like Ken's Fish. I have gotten a bunch of things off Amazon, My lights and Filters came from there. I know people that have had good experiences ordering things from Aquarium Co-Op, but I have never used them personally. I guess it comes down to who has the best price with shipping, as long as it is a reputable place. I never trust Tanks or Glass canopies to online ordering though, so that stuff comes from local stores. I like to support them and I like not having to wait for something to arrive. As long as their prices are reasonable, I don't mind paying a little extra to get my stuff there. I happened to be blessed with a couple of good LFS in the area along with a bunch of big box stores.

3. Wraithen

WraithenFishlore VIPMember

Unless you're boycotting, order from anywhere. If you're boycotting, Amazon is likely your cheapest bet. I have 0 loyalty with online ordering, but aquarium coop has some of the best customer service around. I just go for whatever source is cheapest for online stuff. That said, I would rather support a lfs.

4. OP
    OP
    DCR

DCRNew MemberMember

Just looked at Ken's fish, good prices and they're in-state so that's a plus. Thanks

5. JayH

JayHValued MemberMember

I'm just returning to the hobby after a very long absence. When I was last involved Eheim was the gold standard everyone else tried to emulate. Apparently while I wasn't paying attention the quality of Eheim products took a turn for the worse. If I hadn't done a bit of research before jumping in again I may have assumed Eheim was still the best of the best and blindly bought another of their filters. I don't know why you've apparently chosen Eheim, but in case it was for reasons like what would have been mine, you might want to do a bit more research. If you've done the research and believe Eheim to be the right choice for you, then ignore this and carry on. My intent is not to slam Eheim but to help you find the best filter for your new tank.

6. OP
    OP
    DCR

DCRNew MemberMember

My Eheim Ecco filter is 3 years old and runs like a top. Not sure what you're specifically referencing with regard to the company's quality going downhill but I feel like you need to qualify a statement like that.

7. JayH

JayHValued MemberMember

I'm mostly referring to this video:

It refers to a specific model of Eheim filter. Perhaps the shortcomings mentioned are restricted to just that particular model.

It wasn't my intent to start a filter flame war. If you're happy with your filter choice, then I'm glad for you. My only intention was to perhaps make you aware of some issues that might have escaped your attention.

Best of luck with your tank upgrade.

8. OP
    OP
    DCR

DCRNew MemberMember

That's fair. Thanks for your input.