Preferred algae wafers for nerite snails?

FancyBubbles
I have mine in a snail only tank. They're new (tank has been cycled), so I didn't expect them to eat right away till I noticed they chowed down the bio film/debri on some of the decor and around the thermometer suction cup in under a few hours after introducing them to the tank. They won't touch lettuce and tetra pleco wafers at all. I'm trying to increase algae naturally but are there any other wafer brands that these guys prefer? I want to try something else other than the tetra brand I currently have.

I have cuttlebone in the tank, they seem to be enjoying grazing on that

Betta'sAnonymous
I have Hikari algae wafers but my nerites are pretty hit or miss with them. Sometimes they eat them, sometimes not. One of my bettas gets more entertainment from the wafers than the snails usually do!

Kribensis27
Mine don’t really care about wafer brands, they care about how I feed them.

They seem to prefer to scrape small particles of food from hard surfaces, rather than take whole chunks. To get them to eat wafers, I decided to try grinding one up into tiny crumbs that would then dissolve after a few minutes in the tank. They would form little spots of “wafer dust” anywhere the crumbs landed. My nerites LOVED it, and that’s now how I feed them.

Basically, just crush the wafer into small pieces. Not powder, but very small chunks. Then disperse them throughout the tank. They dissolve fairly quickly into this powder stuff without getting your water cloudy.

The downside to this method is that if you end up accidentally overfeeding, you would have to do a water change and gravel vac to get it out. I’m ok with that though, and my nerites love it. The uneaten particles even grow a bit of biofilm for the snails to find later.

FancyBubbles
Kribensis27 said:
Mine don’t really care about wafer brands, they care about how I feed them.

They seem to prefer to scrape small particles of food from hard surfaces, rather than take whole chunks. To get them to eat wafers, I decided to try grinding one up into tiny crumbs that would then dissolve after a few minutes in the tank. They would form little spots of “wafer dust” anywhere the crumbs landed. My nerites LOVED it, and that’s now how I feed them.

Basically, just crush the wafer into small pieces. Not powder, but very small chunks. Then disperse them throughout the tank. They dissolve fairly quickly into this powder stuff without getting your water cloudy.

The downside to this method is that if you end up accidentally overfeeding, you would have to do a water change and gravel vac to get it out. I’m ok with that though, and my nerites love it. The uneaten particles even grow a bit of biofilm for the snails to find later.
I have another different question, thought it's not worthy to make a new post about it.

Do you think it'll be fine if I leave the blue lights on overnight? Not every single night. I have them set to the dimmest setting so it's pretty dark.

20210204_000352.jpg

Kribensis27
FancyBubbles said:
I have another different question, thought it's not worthy to make a new post about it.

Do you think it'll be fine if I leave the blue lights on overnight? Not every single night. I have them set to the dimmest setting so it's pretty dark.

20210204_000352.jpg
Why do you want to? I don't see any harm in leaving it on, but I just wouldn't unless you have a reason.

FancyBubbles
Kribensis27 said:
Why do you want to? I don't see any harm in leaving it on, but I just wouldn't unless you have a reason.
Just as an occasional night light, that's really it. Since I don't have live plants in there.

Kribensis27
FancyBubbles said:
Just as an occasional night light, that's really it. Since I don't have live plants in there.
That's fair. I can't think of any negative effects, so why not.

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom