Preemptive parasite treatment?

Shine

I know with some other types of animals I've had over the years you don't wait for signs of parasites... you just assume they have them and deworm (horses and barn cats for instance). Does anyone do the same thing with pond fish? Or is that just too hard on their systems?

If you do though, what method (medicated food or other) and would the meds harm the cycle?

chrisb01

I mix minced garlic with flakes at least once a week, sometimes twice.
But I think garlic boosts the immune system. I'm not sure if it helps with preventing parasites. Lets wait for other more expert answers and see.

Aquarist

Danni

I do what Ken said. I also use NLS Thera A + pellets which claI'm to be antI parasitic in nature- not sure if pond fish can eat it though. It would be worth checking into. Great non medicated food.

Also, Jungle makes a medicated Anti- parasitic food. You can feed once a week as a preventative- at least that's what the box says. My fish don't like it unless I soak it in garlic though.

harpua2002

A lot of people do this for puffers. I'm told they almost always come in with parasites.

Shine

Does that medicated food Jungle makes even work? Using something weekly doesn't strike me as a good idea at all (kind of like the 'cycling' products that require you to 'add weekly' for the life of the tank). Never mind that it could be harming the fish as well...

And would something that is supposed to kill parasites disturb the tank's bacteria colony?

Danni

I'm not sure about it harming the fish but I do know people who give it to fish weekly if they are prone to parasites. Also- they say if a fish actually does have an internal parasite- if you can get the fish to eat, feed them this since it's better to ingest medication for the parasite than to treat the water that is if the fish is still eating.

I use NLS Thera A food which is non medicated and supposedly the high amounts of garlic in it can fight off parasites. I'm not sure if it works but it can't hurt.

I had some fish that came in with parasites though and I fed them that food and medicated the water and they are fine now. I don't feed it every week though.

shellbell4ever

addicted_ind

hey try this surely will come out with something good,
goodluck

Latest threads

Top Bottom