Predator Tank

1. mattyz Initiate Member

Recently bought a 100 Gallon tank to add to my collection of 5. was thinking of mixing it up and making a predator tank but not sure on what i should add. Any suggestions? I have fairly hard water and would like to keep a nicely decorated well stocked tank.

2. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to Fishlore!

what are the tank dimensions? I have a few ideas, but tank dimensions will help see what will work.

3. mattyz Initiate Member

its 64" long 19" high and 20" wide

4. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Nice! If you're interested in a "wet pet", a jaguar cichlid would do very well in there.

You can research different species of the amphilophus, nandopsis, vieja, or parachromis genus and find some ideas. www.cichlid-forum.com has excellent information on some predator species.

5. mattyz Initiate Member

How big will they get? How many can i house?

6. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

Jaguar Cichlids get big and mean. Personally, I wouldn't do any more than 1 Jag. Perhaps others will have different opinions.

7. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

I agree. It can be difficult to heavily stock a "predator tank" due to the aggressiveness of many predator species.

8. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

Some places say they can get up to 21" not sure if that's accurate or not.

9. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

It is always possible, but I think the average is around 16". Everyone I have spoken to that has experience with them tells me to plan on 16".

10. fighter55 Member Member

You could try Bichirs or an Arowana, but I'm not sure if they'll work with a Jaguar.

11. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

Arowana's need a 250. a 100 just isn't enough swimming space.

12. fighter55 Member Member

Oh. Seems I'm off by about 150 gallons. My mistake.

13. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

what about raising some Oscars with some JD's? that could be fun, especially if they are all started together. I have heard of a few oscars that don't bother other fish that they are housed with from a young age but will kill anything else in the tank.

14. fighter55 Member Member

Seems like a huge longshot, but I have a spotted ctenopoma as well as my brother and they are extremely predatory. They stalk the fish, shape themselves like a leaf, and BAM! The fish is gone. Sadly, they only reach about 5 inches, way smaller than what has been suggested.

15. mattyz Initiate Member

i have wanted a fire eel for some time now, would the two be compatible?

BTW thanks for all the advice guys, i come from Winnipeg Manitoba and every fish store we have around here seems to have some 17 Y.o just workin part time who knows nothing about the fish hes selling.
    Im quickly getting involved in fishkeeping. i recently bought not only the 100 gallon but also 2 70 gallons which i plan to keep red eared sliders and a variety of catfish. keep the posts coming. the more infor the better.

16. fighter55 Member Member

If you want to see the predatory instinct of fish more often you should get a schooling fish that breeds often, or a swordtail, which are the largest livebearers that come to mind.

17. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

I have always honestly wanted a school and I mean a good sized school of archer fish. and then give them flies and other critters to practice with.

18. nippybetta Well Known Member Member

Archer fish... if my memory serves me correctly, their brackish-water fish. Brackish is much easier than salt, and some fish even need fluctuations in the salinity. Still, it sounds like the OP is new to the fish hobby and I think they should stick with freshwater fish for now. But I agree- archer fish would be really fun to feed. They'd probably spit all over the ceiling :)

19. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

Oh I agree, def not for the faint of heart to try and keep but just trying to get outside the normal box on this one.

20. mattyz Initiate Member

if i were to house a single jaguar cichlid and a large fire eel would that be a good combination?