Predator Fish

Sergio Calagna

I'm looking for a carnivorous fish that can fit in a relatively small tank. Any ideas?

AquaticJ

What’s “relatively small”?

Sergio Calagna

I would say under 50 gal

I was thinking of of an oscar but people are sayimg the tank is to small.

MWR

Small school of Peppermint Pikeheads or Crocodile Pikeheads. You will need a lot of feeder fish!

BlackOsprey

Pea puffer's a vicious little predator that can fit in 5-10 gallons,

AquaticJ

Unfortunately nothing with the same caliber as an Oscar will fit in something under 50g.

Sergio Calagna

What is the minimum tank size for an oscar?

Rtessy

Sergio Calagna said:
What is the minimum tank size for an oscar?
125 gallons I believe

WinterSoldier.

At my walmart they sell oscars, they are several to a tank and in about a 10 gallon

AquaticJ

And I say 90. Of course bigger is better.

Sergio Calagna

WinterSoldier. said:
At my walmart they sell oscars, they are several to a tank and in about a 10 gallon
They are babies though. They also mistreat their pets at Walmart.

BlackOsprey said:
Pea puffer's a vicious little predator that can fit in 5-10 gallons,
I have never seen those. Do they sell them at pet stores? I would be very interseted in getting one.

Rtessy said:
50 is way too small for an Oscar, unfortunately.
Some cool dudes you can do are African butterfly fish (30 gallon) and some species of killifish are really predatory. There's a list on the stocking part of the forum for predator fish
Edit: here it is
Stocking List Oddballs And MinI Monsters 5g-50g

What in particular are you looking for in a predator fish?
Something that will eat feeder fish and almost anything I offer. I wanted to get an oscar but they require a big tank. I have limited space though. Looks and personallity are always a factor too.

Scubagirl1

Oscars get big. Not even 1 would fit in a 50 gallon asit grows. You would need at least 125g if not bigger.

There are some larger freshwater puffers you might like. They eventually need brackish water but that's not hard. The leopard puffer would fit. An MBU can get to 26" so he would require a larger tank.

Look up the puffer. Wonderful fish very interactive and comical

philip884551

Blood parrot fish are really cool great personalities aswell I have one and he's on my pic

Rtessy

Pea puffers only get 1", but they'll destroy anything you put in the tank. A 10 gallon can maybe fit 2, if it's extremely heavily planted. They will take chunks out of feeder fish, which is probably more stomach churning to watch than interesting.
philip884551 said:
Blood parrot fish are really cool great personalities aswell I have one and he's on my pic
True, but they're not really predatory fish, as most have deformed mouths and can't actually eat feeder fish

philip884551

Mine love eating guppy's he even managed to eat a mystery snail but his mouth isn't deformed he can pretty much close it he even enjoy taking an odd bite at me

Scubagirl1

No deformed mouth and does eat guppies and also nip the fins. Dwarfs pea puffers are little and feisty fun to watch guys. The Leopard gets to be about 6" if you're looking for something bigger but not huge like the MBU but an mbu would require a larger tank (26" when full grown). Picure is a juvenile abou 2.5 inches

I PUFFERS

Rtessy

philip884551 said:
Mine love eating guppy's he even managed to eat a mystery snail but his mouth isn't deformed he can pretty much close it he even enjoy taking an odd bite at me
Huh, guess you got lucky, all the ones near me and the ones I've seen are all messed up :/

TJG

As far as Oscars go if you ask 5 people what the minimum tank size is you will probably get 5 different answers. I have seen several places that say a 75 gallon tank is fine for a single fish. When I had mine, I had two in a 125g tank.

Scubagirl1

Rtessy said:
Huh, guess you got lucky, all the ones near me and the ones I've seen are all messed up :/[/QUOTE

The puffers? Yeah have to really look at them and make sure they eat before you buy. I have a local mom and pop shop (not a chain store) that I get my fish from. I've never had an issue with sick fish.
TJG said:
As far as Oscars go if you ask 5 people what the minimum tank size is you will probably get 5 different answers. I have seen several places that say a 75 gallon tank is fine for a single fish. When I had mine, I had two in a 125g tank.
My friend has one in a 125g tank. He's pretty big and to watch him feed him is amazing. Once you're over the omg it's pretty cool.

philip884551

Rtessy said:
Huh, guess you got lucky, all the ones near me and the ones I've seen are all messed up :/
Yeah I most of got lucky with him pets shops in england don't really sell them got mine from ebay got him when he was a juvenile he had no colour or anything was really interesting watching all the different colours come through when he was growing now he's a very bright yellow colour pic of him with his close mouth

Scubagirl1

philip884551 said:
Yeah I most of got lucky with him pets shops in england don't really sell them got mine from ebay got him when he was a juvenile he had no colour or anything was really interesting watching all the different colours come through when he was growing now he's a very bright yellow colour pic of him with his close mouth
Very pretty

philip884551

Scubagirl1 said:
Very pretty
Thank you I do agree he's the best looking fish in my tank and the biggest personality!

DestinyStars

I'm late, but I 100% would say no to an Oscar. Mine was two inches when I got him. That was two years ago and he is a heafty 16inches now. Definitely not a fish for anything under 200 gallons IMO.

Scubagirl1

DestinyStars said:
I'm late, but I 100% would say no to an Oscar. Mine was two inches when I got him. That was two years ago and he is a heafty 16inches now. Definitely not a fish for anything under 200 gallons IMO.
Wow he's big. Pictures?

Aquaman9101

Exodons? You'd have to get them in a spp. only tank, but they tear food to shreads. Please note, however, that if fed fish, they'll only eat the scales

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom