Predation on Bristlenose fry

AC Aqua

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a semi planted 50g tank with a decently large driftwood, Large java fern and other plants.

I was wanting to move any future bristlenose fry from my 40g where angel fish like to prey on them, into this tank.

However this tank is stocked with:

A lone male bristlenose
A Bolivian ram
cherry barbs
neon tetras
penguin tetras
pristella tetras
and some endler guppies.

All these fish coexist very peacefully, yet I was wondering if they would eat any bristlenose fry put in with them.

*Note* These are lemon blue eye bristlenose so they stand out and don’t camouflage very well.

Best Answer - View e_watson09's answer

FishBoy101

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Yes, the angelfish will eat the baby fry. Maybe the cherry and the tetra if they are big enough. The ram sounds like it would as well. When a group of fish mix fine, adding the plecos may destroy that balance.

e_watson09

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My guess is the ram would eat the fry. The others it depends on the size of the fry when you add them. Could you maybe keep them in a breeder box until they got a little bigger?

A201

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The BN fry have a pretty good chance for survival in the larger tank. They will probably spend most of their time under the driftwood & venture out at night to feed.

OP
A

AC Aqua

Reaction score
FishBoy101 said:
Yes, the angelfish will eat the baby fry. Maybe the cherry and the tetra if they are big enough. The ram sounds like it would as well. When a group of fish mix fine, adding the plecos may destroy that balance.
thank you, I’ll keep that in mind when for when I have more fry

OP
A

AC Aqua

Reaction score
e_watson09 said:
My guess is the ram would eat the fry. The others it depends on the size of the fry when you add them. Could you maybe keep them in a breeder box until they got a little bigger?
yeah I did that with my last fry but I’ll probably have to look into getting a better breeder box.
this is due to the one I have now only having holes on the bottom, and when A small amount of cucumber or food is put in it, it got cloudy pretty quick.

thank you

OP
A

AC Aqua

Reaction score
A201 said:
The BN fry have a pretty good chance for survival in the larger tank. They will probably spend most of their time under the driftwood & venture out at night to feed.
The male bristlenose (won’t be their father) lives under there. Will he get territorial at all? Or try kill the fry due to them not being his own?

A201

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
No way to tell until you try. Might be a good idea to add a rock pile or an additional piece of DW to provide alternative hiding spots. Easy fix.

OP
A

AC Aqua

Reaction score
A201 said:
No way to tell until you try. Might be a good idea to add a rock pile or an additional piece of DW to provide alternative hiding spots. Easy fix.
Good point lol
I have rocks that I was already planning to put in so that should help

New Threads