Precautions For Dead Fish Plant Hand-me-downs

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by CarrieFisher, Apr 21, 2017.

  1. CarrieFisherWell Known MemberMember

    A friend of mine is going through some stuff and hasn't been home in a while due to circumstances beyongdher control.
    Sadly, the couple of fish she had got neglected and died.

    That said, she had a nice sized Marimo ball in her tank that she gave to me to "see if i could use/save it".

    My question, as the title implies, if the fish didn't die of disease (and potentially just of bad water conditions/starvation ), can i put this ball in my tank?

    I brought it home and did the squeezy rinsing deal several times in FDW until what was being gently squeezed out of the ball ran clear.

    Should i QT it for a while?

    Thanks, everyone
     
  2. Hill DwellerWell Known MemberMember

    Interesting question, I'm guessing any disease it could be harbouring wouldn't show, even if you quarantined it.

    Maybe some folks can suggest some of the "general cure" (or whatever) meds you could dump into a tub with it for a few days to cover at least some of the bases? I'm too new to be across what all the different meds are.

    I'm not sure though if some meds are hard in mosses? Another thing to think about I suppose!
     




  3. AngelTheGypsyFishlore VIPMember

    You could do a mild bleach dip like most do to get rid of snails on new plants. I've heard about a cup of bleach for 30 gallons of water, of course you wouldn't want to mix up that much but it gives you an idea. Mix it up, drop the ball in for 15-30 seconds, then rinse really well in prime treated water to remove the chlorine. That should kill anything on it.
     
  4. Jocelyn AdelmanFishlore VIPMember

    Not sure the marimo would survive the bleach dip... being that it is technically algae and not a plant the treatments would be different...
    you could leave it in a jar on windowsill, change water every few days. Also if you have any meds on hand I guess you could medicate the water????
     
  5. CarrieFisherWell Known MemberMember

    Maybe I'll do that and treat it with paraguard?

    I was thinking the bleach thing might be scary bc those guys are like sponges, I think the bleach would kind of get "inside" of it and destroy it?
     
  6. NanologistWell Known MemberMember

    Personally, I just wouldn't even risk it. Especially with how inexpensive and easy they are to get. My fish's health is much more important than some ball of algae.

    Sorry to be a downer. :sorry:
     
  7. Jamieson22Well Known MemberMember

    I'd just drop it in. I'd imagine that plenty of fish have died in same tank as plants while at LFS.
     
  8. CarrieFisherWell Known MemberMember

    That's exactly what I was thinking, too.

    Not a downer, lol, you just posted your opinion
     
  9. smee82Fishlore VIPMember

    I would qt it for 2 weeks
     
Loading...




  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice