Preaching to the choir

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by petlorilea, Jan 4, 2013.

1. petlorilea

petlorileaValued MemberMember

Stopped at you-know-where to plump up my neon population. I was in the store 5 minutes. Plenty of time to hear too much non advice AND bad advice. When the girl handed my beauties to me she said small species are sensitive, so don't be discouraged if they all die. Just keep my receipt. Good luck! she actually beamed. :(
    Some woman was telling her child how wonderful it would be to get a betta..."maybe a pair because a female is not aggressive". I held my breath for a few beats then quickly summed up bettas' nature as her eyes glazed over. THEN the salesgirl confirmed. The salesgirl then took a call from someone wanting the cheapest pet they had. For. A. GAG. 'Gift'.
    I walked away before I could hear the answer.
    This followed what happened at work today: a coworker came to look at Guinness and was complimenting him, then said 'he should have a friend, he looks lonely'. I told her he's not lonely, he has me. Besides he can't be with another betta because of the damage he will inflict AND sustain. She said...."I know, but it would be fun for awhile"
    Glad to have the weekend off to refamiliarize my pets with me. And to stay away from people who don't care/don't understand/don't care to understand how these mini roommates enrich our lives.

2. Lucy

LucyModeratorModerator Member

Frustrating isn't it.

3. nippybetta

nippybettaWell Known MemberMember

I love that kind of rant. It's almost funny, how ignorant most people are.

4. Tigress Hill

Tigress HillWell Known MemberMember

*sigh* That's why I always try get out of PetDumb ASAP.

5. AlanGreeneWell Known MemberMember

If people don't know the fish keeping hobby then I don't mind as much, I don't know much about rock climbing so I'm sure I would be an ignorant rock climbing noob face if I was talking to a friend about it! It's the LFS idiots who don't know a thing yet pretend to that annoys me, do they not feel guilty about what they are doing? :(

6. Tigress Hill

Hopefully they don't know any better.

7. Ethan

EthanWell Known MemberMember

i never buy fish from petco or petsmart so i never go in to that part of the store. i stay by the supplies and decorations. and spend an hour wondering if i can fit a certain piece of fake/real wood in to my tank :p

8. ZeeZ

ZeeZWell Known MemberMember

Yet another reason to be glad I'm Deaf.

I don't have to listen to their nonsense.

9. OP
    OP
    petlorilea

Oddly enough, I only go there FOR fish....my supplies are purchased online or craigslist. Cheaper. Quieter. And I don't have to worry that my kids will read about me going postal.
    I lie. The 40 I bought last week was from petco. (embarrassed face here)

10. Tigress Hill

:;laughing Instant solution!;)

11. OP
    OP
    petlorilea

You don't sound the type to be insensitive and suggest that your friend use a bungee as 'it might be fun for awhile' or insist 5 people can use one rope. But I agree about the employees. I understand that they may be plunked into a department who sells things of which they have no knowledge BUT why o why the pretense? I respect an idiot to the extent that he realizes that he's an idiot and finds someone who can answer a simple question. 20 years ago I was literally grilled over tank size, cycling, stock etc. And IF a fish died, you had to take in a sample of water to be tested.
    The saddest thing is I KNOW THIS HAPPENS!!!! I'm more upset with myself than them. (and I'm pretty upset with them)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice