Pre-soaking Flakes & Pellets?

happah
When I feed my fish, do I need to pre-soak the flakes and pellets? I noticed after every feeding my cardinal tetras look like they are going to explode..really turning into little balloons. Is there any explanation; should I be worried?

sfsamm
Remember fishes stomachs are generally about the size of their eyeball...
Dollar says your over feeding a tremendous amount. Reduce the amount you feed. Your fish will thank you. Especially for the fact that your water quality will tremendously improve with reduced food at dinner time.
Tiny fish need tiny amounts of food.

techfool
I don't.
I also overfeed.
But I do mix it up, including frozen food and soft pellets.

happah
Maybe I do overfeed, but I only put a pinch of flakes crushed, and a few micro pellets - for 32 fishes (cardinal tetras, forktail ranbows and galaxy danios). They finish everything in 1 minute.

I'll try feeding less then..

DuaneV
I don't feed any of my fish flake food. Pellets, live and frozen food only, so that means I soak everything not living before feeding.

happah
I don't feed any of my fish flake food. Pellets, live and frozen food only, so that means I soak everything not living before feeding.

Hm, is there a reason why you avoid flake food? To be honest I haven't done much research regarding food types, I justs bought one with good reviews on amazon.

Nickguy5467
Hm, is there a reason why you avoid flake food? To be honest I haven't done much research regarding food types, I justs bought one with good reviews on amazon.
Bump. I would like to know this to

Discus-Tang
Flake formulas are often less concentrated and more starchy vs pellets. They are also messier.

Rancore
Pellets are more nutritious than flake, usually easier to eat and less messy too, some fish don’t show interest in flake, but will take pellets.

sfsamm
Maybe I do overfeed, but I only put a pinch of flakes crushed, and a few micro pellets - for 32 fishes (cardinal tetras, forktail ranbows and galaxy danios). They finish everything in 1 minute.

I'll try feeding less then..
Try alternating days between pellets and flake but feed the same amount you do now. See if that reduces their bloating.

DuaneV
Not only are pellets healthier, cleaner and easier to manage, I also know exactly how much I'm feeding individual fish. I can count out 10 pellets for my oscar, 4 for my betta, 1 per 2 cory, etc. WAY easier to keep my fish on a balanced diet. Mixed with live foods like mosquito larvae, daphnia and brine shrimp along with some frozen foods in the winter like bloodworms and brine shrimp, Ive noticed my fish look better and live longer since switching from flake foods in 1997.

happah
Hm, any particular pellets that you recommend for small fish (cardinal tetras, forktail rainbows, galaxy danios)? I bought some from tetra - one tube with 4 compartments, each with a different pellet...supposedly.

DuaneV
Omega One, HikarI and Fluval Bug Bites are the only foods I use besides live and frozen.

Nickguy5467
I use shrimp pellets. but that is mainly for the cory fish. the only other fish I have that goes after it is my black skirt. not sure what pellets you guys mean... sorry for asking in "not my own thread" but yeah since were on the subject >.>

imba
I don't soak my pellets and flakes too. But I try to always underfeed my fish.

I tried flakes and hated how messy they were. For my small fish, I use hikarI micro pellets and nls small fish formula. I also feed frozen bloodworms and baby brine occasionally.

NanaW
I feed my Betta 2 Pellets in morning 2 small Bloodworms at night freeze dried

happah
Hm...I noticed when I feed my cardinal tetras are much faster than the other inhabitants - they chug down everything in a few seconds. I tried feeding in different spots simulatneously, but it looks like most of the food ends up in cardinals' bellies. How do I make sure the other fish also get to eat?

NanaW
Hm...I noticed when I feed my cardinal tetras are much faster than the other inhabitants - they chug down everything in a few seconds. I tried feeding in different spots simulatneously, but it looks like most of the food ends up in cardinals' bellies. How do I make sure the other fish also get to eat?

Have you tried feeding them by hand ?

DuaneV
If they are literally eating everything in a few seconds, then you're not feeding them enough. You can also feed them first on one side of the tank to create a diversion, then feed the other side of the tank. I have to do this in a few of my tanks.

Culprit
Hm, any particular pellets that you recommend for small fish (cardinal tetras, forktail rainbows, galaxy danios)? I bought some from tetra - one tube with 4 compartments, each with a different pellet...supposedly.

I highly reccomend the NLS foods. Especially the NLS Thera A+. Frozen foods are not that expensive, and they'll last for a very long time. Far healthier for the fish.

sfsamm
I also feed a variety of NLS foods for staple diet and frozen once or twice weekly to most tanks. I have one tank that prefers Northfin pellets to NLS. Nano fish also get BBS a few times a week.

sfsamm
I also feed a variety of NLS foods for staple diet and frozen once or twice weekly to most tanks. I have one tank that prefers Northfin pellets to NLS. Nano fish also get BBS a few times a week.

happah
I'll try to grow some microworms - they seem to be the easiest and least messy to breed, and I suppose them being micro, and thousands, it would give each fish a chance to eat and hunt some. I also have some frozen bloodworms, but.....they seem to be too big for my fish

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
JesseMoreira06
Replies
Views
StarGirl
Replies
Views
Kitley
  • Question
Replies