pre packaged plants

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by Nick Della Rocca, Sep 8, 2014.

1. Nick Della Rocca

Nick Della RoccaValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    Experience:
    Just started
    Anyone have any experience buying the pre packaged plants from Petcoor any other chain store?

2. bolivianbaby

bolivianbabyFishlore LegendMember

Ratings:
    +67
    Experience:
    5 years
    I am by no means a plant expert (they either grow or die-no in between), but from what I have heard from more experienced plant members, most of the plants they sell at Petco are not true aquatic plants.

My best advice would be to research the plants you want carefully and verify that you are getting the species you think you are getting.

Because of my lack of plant knowledge, I buy mine from the local auctions and one of my dearest friends, who sells them.

I hope this helps until more knowledgeable members come along.

3. Kindafishy

KindafishyValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1
    Experience:
    2 years
    I have gotten some from Petsmart. They are the ones that are grown emersed and in a nutrient gel. They may melt a bit in an aquarium setting, but mine haven't. In fact the only problem I've had with these is that my snails have liked them a little too well

4. Delaneyw

DelaneywWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +23
    Experience:
    Just started
    I have a sword and some staurogyne repens from the gel packs at Petsmart. I experienced no melt and actually have some decent growth! Best of all? No pest snails! The gel was kind of yucky to rinse off, but no real issues. They seem to be a little more expensive sometimes, but I will pay more for snail free plants.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2014
  5. FiscCyning

FiscCyningWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +157
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    If you can get to a petsmart their packaged plants are actual aquatic plants. They even identify what kind they are so you can do some research on what fits your lighting and fertilizing. Just don't buy the mondo grass out of their tanks,since it isn't a true aquatic.

I strongly advise against the pre-packaged ones at Petco. Most of them are not actually aquatic plants and will die in your aquarium. They do have some good plants in their plant tank, but only buy plants you recognize since there are some in there that aren't aquatic too.

6. sliderdkp

sliderdkpValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +4
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Any really nice live plants that i have purchased, have come from Peabody's. I quarantine them a few days, then put in. No snails. problems, etc. Peabody's were out of the plants I wanted this last time, so I ordered from Dr. Fosters. Very disappointed. The plants melted, went bad in the quarantine. I'm sticking with Peabody's.

7. OP
    OP
    Nick Della Rocca

Ratings:
    +0
    Experience:
    Just started
    Thanks for the info. I thought they would be much cheaper. Well I'm keeping my tank planless for now. I just can't deal with my dwarf cray destroyongvthem again. But when he moves on in life, I will go planted and get a few khulii loaches or dwarf loaches. Something for my 20h

8. DevBiker

DevBikerValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    Experience:
    3 years
    I've had quite a bit of luck with them, personally. You do have to be careful ... as another mentioned, not all of them are fully aquatic.

9. jetajockey

jetajockeyFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +93
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    The plants that come in the cellophane packs are tissue culture and are all fully aquatic plants. The ones that come in the tubes can be a toss up, you just need to check the species name and reference it if it's unfamiliar.

10. Rivieraneo

RivieraneoModeratorModerator Member

Ratings:
    +252
    Experience:
    Just started
    Ive had good luck with both Petco and Petsmart tube plants. Always check the package to make sure they are fully submersible. Best of luck.

11. OP
    OP
    Nick Della Rocca

Ratings:
    +0
    Experience:
    Just started
    Thanks guys! I'll remember that for future reference. As I am having bad nitrate problems that I made a separate post about. Got talking to Dolfan he has helped me with what I need and I purchased some from him to help keep my nitrates at a safe lvl after I get it down via water changes.

Become a Fishlore Member