Question Pre-filter sponge?

CorydorasCats

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hey,

I must ask about 10,000 questions on here a day but here goes :joyful:..

I’m thinking of getting a pre-filter sponge to go on my intake but I don’t know what size I’d need.. also do people recommend this? It’s not for additional BB as I already have over-filtration for the size of my tank but it is mainly to stop smaller fish potentially getting their fins in the intake or plant debris clogging it.. thoughts?

Attached is a pic of the same intake pipe I have.

Thanks!

Attachments

Crimson_687

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Any course sponge should work for fry. For me, course sponge did not work for cherry shrimplets as the pores were too large. I ended up using a panty hose-type fabric piece and then cut it and sewed it so it would be a single layer and tightly fit my intake. Personally I prefer it over sponge as it is 100% shrimp proof and much easier to remove debris. There are also steel intake covers you can find online, but sponge prefilter should work.

OP
CorydorasCats

CorydorasCats

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Ahh the pantyhose (we call them tights in the UK ) is a good idea! Would it be ok to attach it with an elastic band or something?

Thanks

Crimson_687

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
CorydorasCats said:
Ahh the pantyhose (we call them tights in the UK ) is a good idea! Would it be ok to attach it with an elastic band or something?

Thanks
I don’t see why not, but maybe fishing line as rubber may deteriorate, unless you have one of those heavy-duty silicone ones

OP
CorydorasCats

CorydorasCats

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Crimson_687 said:
I don’t see why not, but maybe fishing line as rubber may deteriorate, unless you have one of those heavy-duty silicone ones
Another great idea! Thank you :)

johnjohnjohnjohn87

Reaction score
What is the make and model of your filter? Alternatively, there are three sizes of coarse pre-sponge filters here with dimensions listed

New Threads