Pre filter on intake tube.

Fljoe

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
As I posted previously, I’ve been having an issue with a cloudy tank that may have been a bacteria bloom. On Saturday I did a large WC and added a foam filter to my intake tube of my Top Fin silent stream PH75. Since Saturday my tank has been crystal clear. But I just unplugged my filter for a second, all that junk immediately released off the sponge and right back into the tank! Besides it was restricting flow way to much! This is disappointing!

RollaPear

Valued Member
Reaction score
Turn off the filter and put a fine fish net around the pre filter before removing it. If the pre filter is reducing flow, it's too compacted. Try pulling it down so the intake isn't touching the base/bottom of the pre filter.

Fljoe

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Turn off the filter and put a fine fish net around the pre filter before removing it. If the pre filter is reducing flow, it's too compacted. Try pulling it down so the intake isn't touching the base/bottom of the pre filter.
Thanks. I may have used the wrong product that may be too fine of a sponge. 92C18014-2E98-42B9-B0CB-0C4A19E42580.jpeg

Fljoe

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
The good news is that it looks to be clearing up pretty quick. Whew!!!

Fljoe

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
thanks! But it’s too late lol! I guess that is a common problem I didn’t research enough. I still didn’t like how much it cut the water circulation. I was able to notice the difference during feedings how the food would flow.

GlennO

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Have you replaced the Top Fin cartridge with a sponge? If not, that might be an option that will allow you to dispense with the pre-filter.

Fljoe

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yes. At the same time on Saturday. I cut up the old cartridges and put them in a media bag. Then cut fiber filter material to size and placed it where the original cartridges went.

Truckjohn

Valued Member
Reaction score
Next water change:

Rinse out the main filter in the discard water change water and reuse the filter. Just be sure to note which side was "In" and which side was "out" on the filter or it will backwash the remaining trash back into your tank... ;)

Rinse out the pre-filter in the discard water change water and stick it back on.

Dump the filter sump out into the discard water.

Usually a ton of trash rinses out of the filters and dumps out of the filter sump after instances like this...

Fljoe

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Next water change:

Rinse out the main filter in the discard water change water and reuse the filter. Just be sure to note which side was "In" and which side was "out" on the filter or it will backwash the remaining trash back into your tank... ;)

Rinse out the pre-filter in the discard water change water and stick it back on.

Dump the filter sump out into the discard water.

Usually a ton of trash rinses out of the filters and dumps out of the filter sump after instances like this...
The pre filter was only on since Saturday. I already trashed it because I didn’t like the flow restriction it caused. The filter fiber material I used to replace the cartridges is the blue/white type. I assumed the blue was course and the white finer material. So I placed the blue towards the overflow, and the white is what the water passes through last before it goes back into the tank. How long should I leave the old cartridge cuttings in the overflow chamber?

Islandvic

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I use a large zip-loc bag and slip it around my sponge filters before pulling the whole intake tube off with prefilter still attached.

I use the same green Top Fin foam sponge to slip on the intake tubes of my Silentstream filters. I use a plastic zip tie to cinch it down onto the intake tube.

This LINK is to a thread on the forum that shows how to put different DIY media in HOB filters, with many examples with pics of the Silentstreams.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom